Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi. I've been following this discussion with interest and a bit of puzzlement. Im posting a link to a review that you may find illuminating.

I think some of you are kinda missing the boat in terms of the potential of the V700. In particular, take note of the reviewer's comments about use of the film holder height adjustments. I also suggest taking a good look at the a/b comparisons with other scanners:

EPSON V700 review

I've used a V700 for 3 years, and have made many thousands of scans with Nikon 4000ED and 8000ED scanners, as well as all Epson top-of-the line flatbeds since the 1990s. The comparison results in the review are very close to my experience.

Regarding software. When scanning, it is important to avoid butchering images through clipping, excessive contrast adjustments, and bad sharpening. If you use Epson Scan in professional mode you can avoid those pitfalls.

You then move on to Photoshop, which is the place to do highly controlled corrections, not your scanning software.

For example, proper use of the Histogram Adjustment in Epson Scan eliminates clipping. However, the histogram display and colour management in Epson Scan are not as refined as in Photoshop, so Photoshop Levels and Curves should be used for final adjustments.

For best results, shut off sharpening in Epson Scan. Sharpen in Photoshop where you have more options and far more control.

Vuescan is nice. It was my main software for a long time, used with quite an assortment of scanners. I'd still use it instead of older versions of Nkon Scan and Epson Scan. However, for most images I've been getting better results with the version of Epson Scan supplied with the V700. This is mainly due to the Histogram Adjustment in Epson Scan, which gives more control of rolloff of shadows and highlights than I've been able to produce in Vuescan.

I very occasionally run across transparencies that work better in SilverFast than in either Vuescan or Epson Scan. but for the most part I find Epson Scan Professional mode easier to work with.

Hope you find this useful.

John

06-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi John,
Thanks for weighing in on this discussion and providing the link to the photo-i review. That review is one of the main reasons I bought my V700. Unlike the review author, I have not been able to match performance between my Nikon 5000 ED and the V700, but am quite happy none-the-less. I agree with you enthusiastically regarding use of "professional" mode in Epson Scan. Like you, I have found it best to split image management tasks between the scan time and PP tools. My general approach:

Epson Scan:
  • 48-bit color
  • USM off (emphatically so...cannot emphasize enough)
  • Grain reduction off
  • Auto exposure as starting point
  • Adjust clipping (histogram adjustment)
  • Adjust color balance, brightness, global contrast, saturation, and curves (tone adjustment and image adjustment)
  • Scan to aRGB as 16-bit TIFF
Lightroom
  • Fine tune all of the above
  • Judiciously add "clarity" or "sharpening"
On some negatives, I may also use the "Backlight Correction" feature of Epson Scan. This leverages the multi-scan capabilities of the V700 to broaden the dynamic range.

Steve
06-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
... That review is one of the main reasons I bought my V700...
It's also the main reason I almost got one too... but no other review, anywhere backed it up. Even in the forums at that site, the users do not agree. I also read that the v500 was not far off from the v700 so I got it instead thinking I could save some money. No matter what I tried, wet scanning, building custom light masks, adjusting the height, gave results comparable to the Nikon V ED. Please don't get me wrong, I think epson scanners can be a decent value, but I think they have done a disservice to customers by stating theoretical resolution rather than what a user can really expect to get. If Pentax can design, build, and sell a kx and kit lens for what they do, why can't someone make a better scanner for $500-700? Serious question.

PS. If someone can show me results from a v700 that matches or exceeds a Nikon 8000 or greater scanner, I'll trade them my Eversmart, 4 replacement bulbs, and g4 to run it... straight up. 100% serious!
06-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have uploaded some of my recent scan examples from the V700 in page 4 of this thread.
Please note that my negs weren't 100% flat, so I feel there's probably some considerable room for improvement. Also probably some in my scan workflow, and possibly in my photo taking to start with! (images were handheld and faced x-rays from airports).

Alternatively, I have uploaded the images to Flickr

06-15-2010, 01:55 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon scanner CanoScan 8800f com issues

Bought me this scanner to scan X000 of slides that I have from my Pentax Mx and on.
Works fine even on slides I took 1980.
I've fix a dedicated Laptop to work with it so I can give it to my friend that want to scan their slides.
For some reason the scanner gave me errors massages on that laptop (works great on the other Desktop). I figured out that this is a USB speed issue so to force the interface to USB 1 (After spending hours trying to fix the USB II drivers) I've connected a USB I hub in between the PC and the scanner and Bingo - it works great.