Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As an example of my quantifying the latitude of film, I recently tried the recently released Kodak Portra 400 which I am finding to be an exceptional all around film. As I have been doing with recent films I have tried, I would meter a gray card for optimal exposure then shoot a range holding the aperture and varying the shutter speed as in the example below. This gives me a sense of a film's true speed - what I can expose it over/under and get usable results.

Larger 500KB file -> http://www.fototime.com/B1379B2FE749C83/orig.jpg

With this, I know that given the contrast of a scene, I can expect to still see detail even in very contrasty scene as in the next example. In this case, I used the Shadows and Highlights tool to bring out detail in the shadow and blown out areas. I could have also varied the Analog Gain in Nikonscan to derive files for HDR too.

Larger 800KB files -> http://www.fototime.com/DCE615918D77901/orig.jpg

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dpi, epson, film, holder, nikon, photography, results, scanner, scanners, scans, v700