Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Sorry, if I did not make my point very well. It was about the "local" thing. There is almost no gear to be found anywhere in the country in which I live, no Pentax for sale either, almost zero secondary market. For example Craigslist Dublin has exactly one item in it in the photo section for the entire month so far... and that is a wedding album! And Dublin is three hours away so it's not tenable to shop from there anyway.

Some people live in places with no economy to speak of. So finding anything esoteric, cheap or otherwise, is a pipe dream.

So I must rely on eBay and other internet sources and eat the shipping.
Hmmm...maybe that will be my next career...personal photo shopper for people living in countries with no used cameras?!

Steve

(Can't get much FSU stuff however...)

06-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #17

Another place you can find cheap enlargers: Nearby schools that have/used to have darkroom photography classes. I recently picked up A Beseler 23CII with a Dual Dichro S color head for $40 from my university. They had a ton in storage because they did away with the color darkroom classes. Just converted the basement at home into a darkroom by covering up the windows with some black landscape plastic. Everything works like a charm (except the crappy enlarger timer the school gave me...that will need to be replaced).
06-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #18

In May I bought my university's newspaper's old darkroom equipment for only $100. I got an Omega D5XL with a nice Schneider Componon-S lens, plus trays, tongs, a grain focuser, and other accessories. Still building the darkroom itself, though.
06-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
...Everything works like a charm (except the crappy enlarger timer the school gave me...that will need to be replaced).
I am pretty sure that I saw a Beseler timer and exposure analyzer at my friendly local camera repair shop. They have a magic box that always has what I need.

Steve

06-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #20
Pentaxian

If you can't find it on craigslist there are plenty of good buys elsewhere online.
Some photo stores are selling off darkroom gear at closeout prices and eBay has many darkroom bargains.

Chris
06-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I sold off all my darkroom gear a year or so ago for next to nothing. I have several bottles of film processing chemicals including Diafine A & B for free if anyone wants to pick them up in the Atlanta area. Shoot me a PM.
06-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #22
BKJ

Ebay is an excellent place to find an enlarger if you know what you want and have ageneral knowledge of prices. Its true they are selling for a fraction of their original price , but be sure to get one that is in good shape. If they come with accessories, that is a plus. get a name brand that you can easily find accessories for such as Beseler or Omega. I have bought 3 enlargers from Ebay, all Beseler. two 67 dichro units and one23cii dual dichro. Two of them I had shipped for reasonable prices and the other I drove three hours to pick up.The 67 I picked up was in excellent conditionnnalong with a schneider Componon s 2.8 50mm lens , several negative carriers, an inline voltage stabilizer and a Beseler enlarger cover, It also was an XL package with taller dual column and wider baseboard accommodating 16x20 prints. This whole package cost me a total of $25 plus gas. They wanted $135 to ship it. enlargers are difficult to package to insure it arrives unbroken if when disassembled. On the 23cll the crank arm was brokenbut my son took it to his workplace and was able to have it welded and even painted. I saw the same crank arm on Ebay selling for over $40. I could buy another enlarger for that. If you watch Ebay closely and long enough, you might find something close enough to you that will merit driving there to pick it up, but if you have to have it shipped, just remember what this equipment cost originally. It was worth to me. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added 06-19-2010 at 07:14 PM ----------

Ebay is an excellent place to find an enlarger if you know what you want and have ageneral knowledge of prices. Its true they are selling for a fraction of their original price , but be sure to get one that is in good shape. If they come with accessories, that is a plus. get a name brand that you can easily find accessories for such as Beseler or Omega. I have bought 3 enlargers from Ebay, all Beseler. two 67 dichro units and one23cii dual dichro. Two of them I had shipped for reasonable prices and the other I drove three hours to pick up.The 67 I picked up was in excellent conditionnnalong with a schneider Componon s 2.8 50mm lens , several negative carriers, an inline voltage stabilizer and a Beseler enlarger cover, It also was an XL package with taller dual column and wider baseboard accommodating 16x20 prints. This whole package cost me a total of $25 plus gas. They wanted $135 to ship it. enlargers are difficult to package to insure it arrives unbroken if when disassembled. On the 23cll the crank arm was brokenbut my son took it to his workplace and was able to have it welded and even painted. I saw the same crank arm on Ebay selling for over $40. I could buy another enlarger for that. If you watch Ebay closely and long enough, you might find something close enough to you that will merit driving there to pick it up, but if you have to have it shipped, just remember what this equipment cost originally. It was worth to me. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added 06-19-2010 at 07:16 PM ----------

06-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I wonder if we can mail Robin an enlarger in pieces like the Jeep from MASH. Seems unfair that in a nation of unwanted enlargers, we can't get one over there.

06-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I wonder if we can mail Robin an enlarger in pieces like the Jeep from MASH. Seems unfair that in a nation of unwanted enlargers, we can't get one over there.
Crumbs, I remember that show. But actually I would have no use for an enlarger, sorry to say. I am having trouble enough getting stuff developed and scanned!
06-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I understand, scanning and posting photos on the Internet is the new imperative.
But in my experience developing your own film and "old school" printing is more pleasurable and rewarding.

Sadly most young photographers will never know the sense of accomplishment of taking the process
from start to finish, ultimately creating a beautiful handmade print.

Chris
06-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Sadly most young photographers will never know the sense of accomplishment of taking the process from start to finish, ultimately creating a beautiful handmade print.
I agree. I did this many years ago so at least I know the feeling. However there are many good things about the "new imperative", such as the ease of sharing. And I do not miss dealing with scratches and dust.
06-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree. I did this many years ago so at least I know the feeling. However there are many good things about the "new imperative", such as the ease of sharing. And I do not miss dealing with scratches and dust.
Instead of hours bending over a print with a spotting brush/pen, we now spend hours at the computer spotting with a mouse.

At least we only have to do it once!

Steve
06-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #28
Pentaxian

It's not the same. The average Photoshop user spends far more time tweaking than the average printer does spotting.
With good housekeeping and a modicum of care dust and scratches are seldom a problem.

Chris
06-23-2010, 03:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Instead of hours bending over a print with a spotting brush/pen, we now spend hours at the computer spotting with a mouse.
Really? I spend about 5 minutes every month removing dust with the mouse. Maybe less.

With good housekeeping and a modicum of care dust and scratches are seldom a problem.
Only true if you have the luxury of a clean-room environment, which few do. Even when I get negs developed "professionally" there are many dust, scratch and other issues per strip.

The average Photoshop user spends far more time tweaking than the average printer does spotting.
That's a ridiculous statement. First of all, you are apparently comparing the entire digital process (developing, retouching, correction, creative control, readying for print) to one small part of the analog process. Second, it simply underestimates how long many film photographers have dedicated to darkroom work. All one has to do is read up on Ansel Adams (or practically anyone else who tells the full story) and discover how long every single print took to complete.

If someone wants to take more time tweaking in Photoshop it's because they find it a more enjoyable process and can achieve transformations with a fraction of the difficulty (for most processes) and many times more latitude than film allows. Otherwise one can go from RAW image to finished shot in seconds, and do hundreds of "rolls" in one hour. You cannot convince me, no matter which planet you live on, that you can develop and scan hundreds of rolls of film in less than a week or two (and if not scan then print, another process that takes mere minutes with digital).

This is my last statement before I sign off this thread. I started in film (there was nothing else) and went back to it as an adjunct to digital last year. I believe that anyone who wants to deeply understand photography needs to at least try film. And for certain small niche photography pursuits (getting smaller all the time) it might be the best day-to-day solution.

However, understating the issues and overstating the benefits of film development does nothing to help those who might be looking to commit to this endeavour. Many of these posts come across as nothing short of cheerleading.
06-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Really? I spend about 5 minutes every month removing dust with the mouse. Maybe less.
I guess I am picky, though the total time I spend is probably less that 20 minutes per month and is limited to scans that I intend to print or display at higher resolutions.

...However, understating the issues and overstating the benefits of film development does nothing to help those who might be looking to commit to this endeavour. Many of these posts come across as nothing short of cheerleading.
So true! So true! Using film and traditional processing can be VERY rewarding, but comes at the price of learning the craft and the time to actually do the work.

Steve