Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I understand, scanning and posting photos on the Internet is the new imperative.
But in my experience developing your own film and "old school" printing is more pleasurable and rewarding.

Sadly most young photographers will never know the sense of accomplishment of taking the process
from start to finish, ultimately creating a beautiful handmade print.

Chris
Probably what made it rewarding for you was doing it when you were a kid. Today kids will get the same sense of accomplishment from producing a good picture using digital; only the mechanics have changed. It's still "handmade." Probably people thought the same thing when glass plates went out, etc. etc.

Paul

06-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Probably what made it rewarding for you was doing it when you were a kid. Today kids will get the same sense of accomplishment from producing a good picture using digital; only the mechanics have changed. It's still "handmade." Probably people thought the same thing when glass plates went out, etc. etc.

Paul
I guess you could consider me one of today's kids (I'm 22), and I feel that the traditional process is much more rewarding than the digital process. With digital, I take a shot, and I can just hit print (if I shoot in RAW theres a little bit of tweaking to be done). With the traditional process, there's developing the film, then there's taking the time to get the best possible print by picking the best contrast grade, the best exposure time, dodging, burning, etc. There's much more work involved, and at the end of everything, I feel like I've accomplished much more with a darkroom print than with a digital print.
06-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
I guess you could consider me one of today's kids (I'm 22),

Heehee. I have unexposed film that I never got to shooting, which is somewhat older than you.
06-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome. Glad to have some fine young talent on the team. GO FILM GO!

Chris

06-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heehee. I have unexposed film that I never got to shooting, which is somewhat older than you.
I would love to see how it would turn out if you were to shoot with that today.
06-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
I would love to see how it would turn out if you were to shoot with that today.
Some of it's Kodachrome 25: I'd have to hurry to find out.
06-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

eBay is a funny place. I love how you can have 1 listing for a 23c for $50 and some other yahoo has one on a fixed price for $450.

06-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
eBay is a funny place. I love how you can have 1 listing for a 23c for $50 and some other yahoo has one on a fixed price for $450.
...and have neither of them sell...

Steve
06-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hahahahahahahahahahaha

I actually laughed out loud.