Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No Better Time to Start a Wet B&W Darkroom

Tip: Don't buy enlargers off of eBay. The big shipping cost is unnecessary.

Honestly, I don't care where you live there are good enlargers (no, let me rephrase that) GREAT enlargers to be had for free or nearly so LOCALLY. Shipping costs on a good enlarger (say a Beseler 23CII or Beseler 45 or Omega D) will kill you. But you can find these locally and save the money for the harder stuff to find (which you can buy through ebay).

If you don't find any enlargers on Craigslist, try a WTB ad yourself. A lot of people who do darkroom (or whose fathers did darkroom) will be happy to see somebody make USE of the stuff and give you a great deal.

There is no better time to set up a black and white darkroom. It is fun and what would have cost a good deal of money a few years ago is now super cheap. I think that once people start figuring this out there will be more of a resurgence of this, so prices will probably rebound a bit in the future. Get set up now while prices are at the bottom!

06-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Tip: Don't buy enlargers off of eBay. The big shipping cost is unnecessary...
Good post cheekygeek! However, eBay is very useful as well for finding local equipment. That's how I did it... I found an Omega D5 4x5 on eBay that was local, won the auction and went over and picked it up. The gentleman was a portrait photog selling all of his gear... So, not only did I get the D5, but a bunch of film, chemicals, papers, trays, and safelights. It was a heck of a score, for next to nothing. I am very happy to have my darkroom back up and running!

So, don't forget to use the eBay distance from me sorting option

Mike
06-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I got kicked out of the dark room at work and they turned it into something else. They told me to get rid of all that old gear. I did. . . . including a Besseler 23C II, Safe Light etc. Does anyone have a pdf manual for this thing?
06-15-2010, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good point.

I live in a low population density area (South Central Nebraska) so the odds of finding a "pick it up" deal on eBay is unlikely for me. If you live in a metro area, your odds are much better.

@Blue: Not sure how much difference there was between the various 23C models, but here is a manual that should get you on your way:
http://blurdotblog.com/manuals/beseler_23c1.pdf

Last edited by cheekygeek; 06-15-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added link for Blue
06-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Good point.

. . .
@Blue: Not sure how much difference there was between the various 23C models, but here is a manual that should get you on your way:

Thanks! bigthumbsup
06-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I gave away a Bogen enlarger about 5 yrs. ago after it sat unused for years. I was able to find a film guy who put it to use. I'm happy I didn't end up trashing it. Cheekygeek is right on....they are out there, you just have to find them. As for me, I have sold myself to the digital world.
06-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good point.

I live in a low population density area (South Central Nebraska) so the odds of finding a "pick it up" deal on eBay is unlikely for me. If you live in a metro area, your odds are much better.

In the darkroom at my school they have all three generations of the Beseler 23. The only thing that really seems to be different between them is the knob styles, and more parts are black anodized on the later ones. Also, the earlier ones seem to break down less often.

06-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

Good point.

Yeah, that would be a problem. Living near Denver does have its advantages! However, if a zombie plague or pandemic erupted, we'd be amongst the first to go
06-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Good point.

Well, don't be so sure. I got my baby here off Ebay for local pickup for like 40 bucks.

Yes, there was luck, but yes, there are more enlargers than people who want them even so, everywhere, sad to say.

Ask around. Since people who *want* them appear so rarely... people who would like to sell one also.. will tend to have not sold theirs. Ask. Try craig's list, btw.

QuoteQuote:
B]@Blue[/B]: Not sure how much difference there was between the various 23C models, but here is a manual that should get you on your way:
I have an example here as well that if you have any questions about, may as well serve your inquiry, Blue, since I in fact have no serviceable wet side here. But a lovely 23CII
06-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have given away a couple of enlargers on craigslist.
I was happy to pass them on to others committed to film photography.

Chris
06-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I too have given away a couple of enlargers on craigslist.
I was happy to pass them on to others committed to film photography.

Chris

Chris has a good point there, too: they're certainly the kind of thing I'd stockpile tosave from the trash heap if I lived in a more rural areawhere space was less valuable than stuff, and all.
06-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honestly, I don't care where you live there are good enlargers (no, let me rephrase that) GREAT enlargers to be had for free or nearly so LOCALLY.
No, sorry, you are wrong. Being spoiled can do that to you.
06-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unfortunately, I've never been spoiled. I have found that we often make our own "luck" however, if you aren't afraid to work a little. I've purchased complete darkrooms and sold off the unneeded (or valuable) bits so I could keep the rest for free. I've currently got three 4x5 enlargers: 2 Beseler 45MXs (one with a Zone VI cold light head), and a Omega D2 along with 2 Beseler 23CIIs (one with a Dichro head). I don't plan on doing color, but I understand that can dial in my polycontrast settings. So now I feel spoiled.
06-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
No, sorry, you are wrong. Being spoiled can do that to you.
In my area the value proposition is inverse to the original purchase price. Modest 35mm enlargers with a single so-so quality lens go for about what they cost new while full-on 4x5 multiple lens setups that cost many thousands of dollars new are worth about $300 or less. Pity that I don't have room for most 4x5 rigs. Lucky that I both like my 6x7 enlarger and have room to store it. Unlucky that I will likely have to go to the darkroom rental place if I want to do optical prints from the 4x5 view camera

I do have to admit that I have not seen anything worth having going for nothing.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-15-2010 at 02:37 PM ----------

...but I understand that can dial in my polycontrast settings...
This is very true, though the exact settings depend on the brand of enlarger and the paper being used.

Steve
06-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, if I did not make my point very well. It was about the "local" thing. There is almost no gear to be found anywhere in the country in which I live, no Pentax for sale either, almost zero secondary market. For example Craigslist Dublin has exactly one item in it in the photo section for the entire month so far... and that is a wedding album! And Dublin is three hours away so it's not tenable to shop from there anyway.

Some people live in places with no economy to speak of. So finding anything esoteric, cheap or otherwise, is a pipe dream.

So I must rely on eBay and other internet sources and eat the shipping.