Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does this developing tank look to be complete?

I found this tank and a Paterson enlarger (which is complete) tucked away at the back of a shelf at my Grandfather's place. We're not entirely sure how it got there.

I used Paterson tanks with ratcheting reels years ago, but this seems to be a different system. The top isn't water tight, which means that it can't be inverted, and the reel is adjustable for 4 different film widths but it doesn't ratchet to feed the film in. The centre of the reel appears to be 3/8 hex, which makes me think that there is an agitator of some sort missing.

If an agitator is all that I need I'll pick up a stainless bolt with a head in the appropriate size, but I was hoping somebody else here might have used a tank like this. The manufacturer's name appears to be Cherry Vale but I haven't found any information on them online.

07-17-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There should typically be two caps- one that's light-sealed but has an opening to pour chemicals, and one to cover it. The former doesn't seem to be here, unless the single one has two-in-one functionality. I also don't think the eyepiece belongs in the equation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #3

I would say that the secodn cap is the small thing we can see, looking like an industar lens. Try to close the tank, and see if you would se the film (not good), and fill it with water to see if it could do the trick
07-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, the enlarger lens is just there to keep the reel from rolling away. It was stored in the tank for safe keeping.

The lid in the bottom left looks to be light tight when it is installed on the basin, but there isn't anything to seal the hole in the middle through which chemicals are poured. I'm not sure the lid even needs a seal for the center because unlike tanks with screw on lids the seam between this tank and lid doesn't appear to be waterproof.

07-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It's complete enough to use, but agitation is going to be a b!tch.
That tank should have a rod that slips through the cap and into the reel so that you can turn the reel for agitation.
07-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's complete enough to use, but agitation is going to be a b!tch.
That tank should have a rod that slips through the cap and into the reel so that you can turn the reel for agitation.
You beat me to it, but the rod is what is missing. It is probably not worth messing with since a current generic equivalent can be had new for less than $20. (LINK)

Steve

P.S. The new ones can be agitated by inversion...

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-17-2010 at 09:21 AM.
07-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is probably not worth messing with since a current generic equivalent can be had new for less than $20.
..or very likely made from any 1$ plastic stick/tube (like pen) by cutting a slit. It's always worth a try, before putting out more money.

Still, it seems that there is something missing, to make it completely light tight. Mine has the reel mounted on separate tube that is always constant length, to seal the chemical pour-in hole. The spheric shape cannot be seen from bottom of the lid as-well, since there are "tunnels" around it to make pour out path light tight. Put a lit up mobile/small led flashlight inside it and have a look at closed tank in a dark place.

Last edited by ytterbium; 07-17-2010 at 01:40 PM.
07-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
..or very likely made from any 1$ plastic stick/tube (like pen) by cutting a slit. It's always worth a try, before putting out more money.

Still, it seems that there is something missing, to make it completely light tight. Mine has the reel mounted on separate tube that is always constant length, to seal the chemical pour-in hole. The spheric shape cannot be seen from bottom of the lid as-well, since there are "tunnels" around it to make pour out path light tight. Put a lit up mobile/small led flashlight inside it and have a look at closed tank in a dark place.
Your tank is of a different design then. Patterson tanks have reel and tube separate to accommodate different reel mixes.
The tank shown above has the reel end built into the tube, and the other end of the reel slides on the tube for adjusting to film width.

07-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, I believe my first developing tank was of that design or similar: just the one lid. It should be usable as is, with perhaps the addition of an agitator. (I'm having trouble remembering if there's a way that you can close those slots for inversion agitation. I seem to remember doing that with that tank, but it was a *really* long time ago.

A Paterson type or stainless type would be a worthwhile improvement, though, depending what you like. I think those reels are pretty fussy-fussy.
07-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

The agitator is a separate unit and most had a thermometer built into it. The way the lid fits into the reel makes it light tight. You could just spin the entire tank. the reel will move just because of the inertia of the liquid inside.
07-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
You could just spin the entire tank. the reel will move just because of the inertia of the liquid inside.
Add in a bit of tilting in between spins and agitation should be done!
07-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Spinning the tank to agitate sounds like a good idea. I think I'll pick up a small batch of chemicals and a few rolls of film from the local shop and give it a go. If the tank turns out to be too much of a pain to load I'll just keep my eyes open for another cheap set on the camera show circuit. Recently expired film usually goes for $1 to $2 per roll if you aren't too picky about type, so it should be a fairly cheap way to shoot.
07-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #13
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There should typically be two caps- one that's light-sealed but has an opening to pour chemicals, and one to cover it. The former doesn't seem to be here, unless the single one has two-in-one functionality. I also don't think the eyepiece belongs in the equation.
On this one you pour the chemicals in the center opening and dump them via the hole on the outside of the rim.

Go easy with the tilting. You don't want air bubbles to interfere with development.