Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #46
Pentaxian

There is a Pentax Micro Bellows and Slide A copier with a 100mm Bellows f4 lens in really good condition up for auction too. What is a good price for one of those, I wonder. The problem is once I'm done scanning all those slide I wouldn't really have much need for it. So it would have to be reasonably priced or I guess one could sell it once done. But somehow I get the felling that thing is going to go for a high price.

I've seen DIY hacks where you build a tube to put your camera in front of a slide projector lens which I have. I may try that.

08-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cxo Quote
That's overpriced...
That was the cheap one...

The lenses like yours were very expensive as well...$350+

Steve
08-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cxo Quote
I hope I did not set the fashion now...
Not yet. I am interested, but not convinced until I see side-by-side comparison pictures like Steve did with Nikon and Epson scanners.

Any pictures you could share with us?
08-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
There is a Pentax Micro Bellows and Slide A copier with a 100mm Bellows f4 lens in really good condition up for auction too...

Can the Slide A copier accept strip film? One of the Olympus units on eBay had an accessory holder for supply/take-up. Cool

Steve

08-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #50
cxo

Just don't look on ebay, it's the home of absurd prices.

I found much of my equipment in classifieds in the big analog forum www.apug.org and camera swap forums in places like popphoto.
08-06-2010, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Well, this is an excellent thread. Timely too, as I will be back to scanning 645 and 35mm shortly.

Comments.
I have the 5400 elite II from Minolta.
It doesn't like vista. I am trying to get an INF from here to make it work, but so far, no luck. It is just a pity that Sony gobbled Minolta at that point, as minolta software and support was quite timely and moving along.

Just to reassure myself that things were working I trialled vuescan again this am and it worked great, although no multi-frame support on the demo (that I could see - could be user error). I still can't like it and prefer the minolta suite.

If I can get it going.

I will likely go back to XP and have a dual boot just so I can use it as some of the scans it produces are excellent. So, I think someone was looking at Win 7, I think that this will be a similar issue, even with compatibility mode.

As an aside, does anyone use this model on a mac with snow leopard?

I also have a 4490 for medium format. OK scanner, but you really need the custom holders from better scanning to get rid of curling and height focus issues/attendant light loss. I have had some excellent scans out of it, but film underexposure is your enemy (as always..).

Happy scanning.
I have the original Elite 5400. You are right, it does not like the Vista. I run the 32 bit version on one of my computers. I have re-installed the DiMage Scan software trying to make it work but in vain. In the end I did manage to make it work as follows.
I open the Photoshop CS2 and then use the Import dialog choosing Dimage Elite 5400. This opens the scan utility. From there I do my normal scanning procedure. After scan is complete it will display in the photoshop window but first I have to close the scan utility window at which point I can save the scan in Photoshop. I repeat the procedure for subsequent scans. It's a bit of a pain but at least it works. Just of note if only works with the firewire port, USB does not recognise the scanner.
Good luck.
08-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Macroguy Quote
I have the original Elite 5400. You are right, it does not like the Vista. I run the 32 bit version on one of my computers. I have re-installed the DiMage Scan software trying to make it work but in vain. In the end I did manage to make it work as follows.
I open the Photoshop CS2 and then use the Import dialog choosing Dimage Elite 5400. This opens the scan utility. From there I do my normal scanning procedure. After scan is complete it will display in the photoshop window but first I have to close the scan utility window at which point I can save the scan in Photoshop. I repeat the procedure for subsequent scans. It's a bit of a pain but at least it works. Just of note if only works with the firewire port, USB does not recognise the scanner.
Good luck.
Thanks for the tips - I have now gotten hold of both windows 7 pro and lightroom, so I am hoping that if the compatibility mode doesn't work, then the interface between LR and the scanner will. If not, then I will dual boot with XP, since I now also have a bit more hard drive space.
unfortunately the II version is USB only (double pity since my laptop has got a Firewire connector), I wonder if that is the issue.

08-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, this is an excellent thread. Timely too, as I will be back to scanning 645 and 35mm shortly.

Comments.
I have the 5400 elite II from Minolta.
It doesn't like vista. I am trying to get an INF from here to make it work, but so far, no luck. It is just a pity that Sony gobbled Minolta at that point, as minolta software and support was quite timely and moving along.
Confirming that I was able to get the 5400 elite II going on windows 7 professional as per the above thread, however not with the latest minolta software version (1.15).

Instead I used 1.02, which is available from here

I did also download the xp virtualization package available from microsoft, but windows 7 seems to have control of the USB ports, and so could not correctly link the port and the scanner.
Interestingly, if your machine does not support VT (virtualization technology), there is an xp mode downloadable to avoid this problem.

Happy scanning all.
06-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #54

I'll try resurrecting this thread...

I've been using an Epson Photo Perfection 1670 with the film-strip carrier. It has worked well for years, but now seems to generate some odd lines. I looked into getting a new/different scanner, sending my film for drum-scanning, etc. Found a very interesting website that compares DSLR capture of negative (as done with the coveted slide duplicator), with images captured by Imacron scanners (Hassalblad, $$$ CHA-CHING!). Results showed a better image produced with a MUCH smaller size file using the DSLR.
http://www.thedambook.com/downloads/Camera_Scanning_Krogh.pdf

The setup he has is Nikon, but I'm sure my K7 would do the job. Now to get my hands on one of those slide duplicators with the bellows!

I'm shooting infrared film, using a variety of cameras - KX, Ricoh KR-5 Super, and the beloved K1000!
06-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #55
Veteran Member

V600 using Epson Scan in expert mode. I have Vuescan also but don't see any advantage to it for my purposes.
An old 1950s 35mm Tri-X neg.
It works for me.

Last edited by wildman; 07-11-2012 at 11:23 PM.
06-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nighthawkjw Quote
I'll try resurrecting this thread...

I've been using an Epson Photo Perfection 1670 with the film-strip carrier. It has worked well for years, but now seems to generate some odd lines. I looked into getting a new/different scanner, sending my film for drum-scanning, etc. Found a very interesting website that compares DSLR capture of negative (as done with the coveted slide duplicator), with images captured by Imacron scanners (Hassalblad, $$$ CHA-CHING!). Results showed a better image produced with a MUCH smaller size file using the DSLR.
http://www.thedambook.com/downloads/Camera_Scanning_Krogh.pdf

The setup he has is Nikon, but I'm sure my K7 would do the job. Now to get my hands on one of those slide duplicators with the bellows!

I'm shooting infrared film, using a variety of cameras - KX, Ricoh KR-5 Super, and the beloved K1000!
I switched from using a Canon 9000F to copying with my K5 and 100mm macro.
Personally, I found the camera setup to be faster and better in results.
Only 2 downsides :
1. not 1:1
2. no proper negative reversal and color correction tool in PP software to get the 'right' film colors
06-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I switched from using a Canon 9000F to copying with my K5 and 100mm macro.
Personally, I found the camera setup to be faster and better in results.
Only 2 downsides :
1. not 1:1
2. no proper negative reversal and color correction tool in PP software to get the 'right' film colors
Just curious, can you save as a tiff, and open the file for edit in the canoscan software?
Trolling through my links, I believe that you can do this with vuescan software, as recorded here.
06-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With an APS-C sized sensor on these bellows units, it will require about a 70mm lens to capture the whole 35mm frame of film as these were all optimized for full frame body. I tried a zoom to verify this but that lens is not likely a good choice for getting the critical data from the film.

These are great for getting a crop or magnification (>10X) of the portion of the 35mm frame within the bellows. That way you can see if the detail was actually captured on the film.

06-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Just curious, can you save as a tiff, and open the file for edit in the canoscan software?
Trolling through my links, I believe that you can do this with vuescan software, as recorded here.
I've not found a way to do that with the Canon program.
It seems to be doing the color conversion at 'driver' level and then it imports into Arcsoft (the PP software given by Canon)
06-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
BTW, prior to this bellows setup, I was using a 40X microscope like the Carson MV820. This approximates a true 4000dpi scan.