Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Problems with scanning transparencies on Epson V700

Hello everyone. I recently started a new job which requires me to scan transparencies using the Epson V700. My predecessor showed me how to use the Epson V700 and which adjustments to make on the Epson Scan software in order to successfully scan a transparency. I watched her scan a transparency and she received a perfect scan (color matched perfectly and everything). Once she left, and I started using the machine in the same fashion, each time I previewed my scan of the transparency, the image would be distorted in color (i.e.: too many yellows, blues, etc.) and difficult to make out.

I have already tried scanning the image with the white pad, tampered with the settings, used the film area guide, flipped the transparency...

Any other suggestions would be great! Thank you so much.

08-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I have never scanned slides on my V700, but I can ask a few questions that will help move things along as people with the right experience respond to this thread:
  • Kodachrome?
  • Mode (Auto, Home, Office, or Professional)?
  • Do you have the manual? (Online version may be found HERE)

Steve
08-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Instructions are here.
Users Guide

Last edited by davidreilly3207; 08-07-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Corrected link
08-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Answers to your questions, Steve

I believe the transparencies are Kodachrome. They are transparencies of paintings, drawings, etc.

Professional mode is the only mode I have used because as far as I know, that is the only mode in which transparencies can be scanned.

I've perused the manual but because I am a complete neophyte anent scanning transparencies, I figured I would try to a forum as well.

Thank you!

08-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi,
I just did a quick test with one of my old Kodachromes and things came out OK. This is what I did, from the top:
  • Slide in holder, emulsion (dull) side up
  • Professional Mode
  • Current Setting
  • Document Type: Film [with Film Holder]
  • Film Type: Positive Film
  • Image Type: 48-bit Color
  • Resolution: 2400 DPI
  • Target Size: Original
  • Adjustments: Auto Exposure (first button) Selected
  • Unsharp Mask: Off
  • Grain Reduction: Off
  • Color Restoration: Off
  • Backlight Correction: Off
  • Digital ICE: On...Quality Mode
  • Scanned to TIFF
These settings should provide you a decent image and a starting point to work from using the other controls.

In case you are curious, here is the scan. Sorry the trees are a little soft. I shot this some years ago had-held in very dim light.

Steve
08-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Re: Steve

I am going to make note of all the settings you selected and try again tomorrow when I return to work as per your settings.

During my attempts, I was not using the film holder, but the film area guide as the transparencies are large. Nonetheless, in document type, I would select film (with area guide).

Also, I was scanning at 300 dpi. Could that be my problem?

I am not sure if I have ever had auto exposure selected but I will give that a try tomorrow as well.

Did you do a preview scan? or straight scan? it is when I do a preview that the colors seem all wrong (as if there is too much light or one specific color is extremely dominant, etc). I never went and did a scan after.

Should I always have to adjust the scan levels wise? Or should the scan be pretty reflective of the original image?
WOuld the preview be different than what the scanner would produce?

Thank you so much for all your help! I hope your guidance assists me tomorrow so I don't look like a total numskull.
08-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luckyslxty Quote
I am going to make note of all the settings you selected and try again tomorrow when I return to work as per your settings.

During my attempts, I was not using the film holder, but the film area guide as the transparencies are large. Nonetheless, in document type, I would select film (with area guide).

Also, I was scanning at 300 dpi. Could that be my problem?

I am not sure if I have ever had auto exposure selected but I will give that a try tomorrow as well.

Did you do a preview scan? or straight scan? it is when I do a preview that the colors seem all wrong (as if there is too much light or one specific color is extremely dominant, etc). I never went and did a scan after.

Should I always have to adjust the scan levels wise? Or should the scan be pretty reflective of the original image?
WOuld the preview be different than what the scanner would produce?

Thank you so much for all your help! I hope your guidance assists me tomorrow so I don't look like a total numskull.
Large transparencies? Bigger than what will fit in the 4x5 or 120 holders? The high resolution lens requires the film holders so it is best to use them if possible.

The scan resolution to use depends on the purpose of the scan (printer, archive, e-mail, monitor screen), the limits of the scanner, the time available to do the scan, and the hardware/software limits of the computer you are scanning to.

Yes, be sure to start with the auto-exposure clicked.

I always do a preview scan to check the crop and to preview any changes to the exposure and the curves. Changes are visible in real time on the preview image without having to rescan.

Steve

08-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the transparencies i am working with are small enough to fit in the "film area guide". they are smaller than regular 8.5 x 11 computer paper but too big for the holders.

the purpose of scanning these images generally entails hi-resolution printing, archiving and in some cases for clients via email. what i am just so confused about is that as far as i know, i am doing the exact same thing as my predecessor (i took diligent notes, word for word, even "turn on scanner" ) and remember her (i think) acquiring a great scan during the preview that she would then crop accordingly and finally hit scan.

when the image shows up in preview, is it then that you play around with the effects? i wish i had the machine with me currently to try it all out.

once again, thank you so much!
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luckyslxty Quote
the transparencies i am working with are small enough to fit in the "film area guide". they are smaller than regular 8.5 x 11 computer paper but too big for the holders.

the purpose of scanning these images generally entails hi-resolution printing, archiving and in some cases for clients via email. what i am just so confused about is that as far as i know, i am doing the exact same thing as my predecessor (i took diligent notes, word for word, even "turn on scanner" ) and remember her (i think) acquiring a great scan during the preview that she would then crop accordingly and finally hit scan.

when the image shows up in preview, is it then that you play around with the effects? i wish i had the machine with me currently to try it all out.

once again, thank you so much!
She probably clicked the "auto-expose" button and you did not notice.

Yes, the adjustments you make will show up in the preview.

Steve

Steve
08-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wish me luck! I will try out your advice tomorrow when I go into work early! I'll let you know how it goes! Thank you for everything.
08-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
:(

So no luck.
My autoexposure option is not present on my screen either.
Here is what happens when I do a preview.
Attached Images

08-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
here is a screenshot of my professional mode screen.
Attached Images

08-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, if that does not look weird.

How are you orienting the "Film Area Guide"? The lettered side should be facing up and the corner with the white arrow should be at upper right (towards the lid hinge). This provides a calibration zone for the sensor. Do not cover up the calibration zone.

Steve
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I got it to work!
I selected all the possible options...
Thanks for your help!
08-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #15

can anyone help?

My V700 software only allows FILM SIZE---MF(6x6, 6x7, etc)...............I can't get it to switch to 35mm(it's not listed)