Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
*sniff*

I just started to heal.
*commiserating.* Hey, I went off color almost entirely when they discontinued Ektachrome 64P.

10-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #17

Original Poster
Velvia Reciprocity Failure

Actually from memory I believe Fuji actually state that Velvia 50 starts to need exposure compensation for reciprocity failure with a shutter speed as 'fast' as 4 seconds... I think it's something like a +1/3 stop at 4s, +1/2 stop at 8s...

I tried Velvia 100 recently on a trip and although I was really hoping it would be my 'secondary faster' film to it's big brother, Velvia 50, I was dissapointed to find that it exhibited some quite noticeable colour shifts (towards magenta) in white clouds and skies when I used some (Lee) Grad ND's... The same shot on the Velvia 50 showed no such casts... The Velvia 100 worked great when I didn't have to use any filters...

Although not everyone likes the 100F I don't believe it exhibits this 'cast' with GND filters...
10-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #18
Inactive Account

velvia

Velvia 50 is great film good colours and grain for landscapes and over the years many people rate velvia at 40 and feel this is the correct iso. You can always rate it 100 and ask processor to push it +1 stop, pumps the contrast up and saturates the colours, in certain situations works well. or go the other way rate it at 50 and again ask processor to pull -1/3 stop. I think negative film is the way forward now as you can get decent print quite easily still! alas printing from transparency is becoming harder and more expensive and less available. Back to tranny film, some of the colour cast you are getting may not be from the film characteristics itself but in the processing itself, if the lab you use doesnt check it chemicals via a test strip and densitometer onsite everyday then they cant be sure if the chemicals are perfect (online). If the chemicals are not within tolerance all your time taken to get perfect exposure at the time you press the button will be in vain, so your tranny be over or under exposed through no fault of your own, also there can be colour shifts in colour if chemicals are not online. annoying isnt it. Stick with one lab for processing and you can shoot to there processing.
10-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
Reala 100 is great.
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
for greens I think fuji is better over kodak which has better reds, we're talking negs right?
Agreed. Nothing does greens like Fuji - it's that forth colour layer. It's fine-grained, saturated, easily available, easily processed and being a neg, got lots of latitude.

I think it's an East-West thing: Fuji film handles greens (ie, yellows,) better and Kodak does reds better. My theory is that it's due to the predominant skin tones of their home markets.