Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
35mm negative scanning: Emulsion side up, down or....

Hi,

I did a very quick search and did not find anything on this, so sorry if it's been asked before.
When scanning 35mm negatives: Should I set emulsion side down, up, or simply ensure correct image orientation (no horizontal flip)
I did a quick test and other than requiring flipping the image horizontally, did not find much difference. But I'm still very new at this and I'm still far from proficient.

Thanks,

08-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I went though the same thing when I started scanning my negatives with an Epson V700. I found a noticeable, although by no means significant, improvement upon putting the negatives in in the way Epson said. I always get confused as to which is the emulsion and which is the base, but the easy way to remember it is that you want to put the negatives into the holder so that when you are looking down at them the numbers/letters are reversed. (i.e. mirror image; the number one has its horizontal bar pointing to the right). At least on the V700 negative holder, it actually has numbers printed on it like this to help you remember.
08-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The main exception to the emulsion side up (emulsion is the less glossy side) for me is if the film curves too much, it can touch the bottom glass. Putting film in the other way and then doing the flip in post (or the scanner software) can help with this... although I'm almost certain there's a bit of softness from the curl.
08-23-2010, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Epson recommends emulsion side (dull) up for the V700. Some users (myself included) have found that they have less film curl/sag problems with the Epson 120 film holder if they mount the film emulsion side down. Still others report better results in general for 35mm film with the emulsion down. Hard to say which is best, though emulsion up will yield correct orientation without the need to flip in PP.

BTW...Nikon recommends backing side (shiny) side up for the Coolscan 5000. This is also the general rule for optical enlarging. The old darkroom adage is "shiny side up" for both film and paper

Steve

08-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

In general. you will want the emulsion closest to the scanner head so that the image doesn't have to travel through the emulsion to get to the head.
And, if you can read the edge printing the right way around (that's the frame numbers and film code), you are looking at the base, not the emulsion.