Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Loupes

Thats it. I've listed the scanner on Ebay and am going fully analogue (at least with my film stuff). I'm going to get a loupe and wondered what the more experienced people's recommendations are. I have heard a reversed 50mm lens is very good, but have seen reviews of Pentax loupes which sound good.

Opinions much appreciated.

08-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There are several good ones on the market. Getting one with coated elements is essential. I use a Rodenstock 4X, aspherical.
08-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I been using the ubiquitous 8x "Agfa" plastic loupe forever for previewing slides and evaluating negatives. It is not fancy, but gets the job done for about $15 USD under Kalt, Samigon, Calumet, and many other brand names.

Steve

P.S. There is even a Flickr group devoted to this device...go figure...
08-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ditto on the 8X loupe. This is what I call my "fantastic plastic." Had it for years and works great.

08-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I use my 4x5 camera's Toyo focusing loupe ( ~4x) to look at negatives.
08-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Schneider MC 4X was pretty much the hallmark and great for FF viewing, but you will need 8-10x at least for sharpness inspection.
08-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
Thats it. I've listed the scanner on Ebay and am going fully analogue (at least with my film stuff). I'm going to get a loupe and wondered what the more experienced people's recommendations are. I have heard a reversed 50mm lens is very good, but have seen reviews of Pentax loupes which sound good.

Opinions much appreciated.
I have both the Pentax 5.5x and the Zoom 5-11x loupes. The 5.5x covers a slide, but has distortion in the edges. The zoom one does not cover a slide, but is good for detail work. I use them in tandem when viewing my slides on a Gepe light box.

Phil.
08-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
3m made a series for mostly half-tone stuff into early '70's, one I have is 8x
went up to 15x, interchangable grids for reticule came with it.

09-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Fuji 4x for me. Nice build quality and focusing.
09-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some people might even say i'm a "fanboy"...wrong but i have a new in box one as back up
perfect for bigger negs, Nikon 8x for 35 and Toyo 4x somewhere for my ground glass.

09-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Fuji 4x for me. Nice build quality and focusing.
Mine should be here in a couple of days. While I like the Agfa 8x, I need a 4x for fine focus with the view camera. Here is my Fuji:

Steve
09-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mine should be here in a couple of days. While I like the Agfa 8x, I need a 4x for fine focus with the view camera. Here is my Fuji:

Steve
Yep, that's the one, and that is the purpose for which I bought it as well.
09-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Ooh, fancies.

I've got nothing special, but I'll add a +1 for the 'agfa' type plastic.

I have one that's similar, though my example is probably really bigger than it needs to be. When I was Ebay shopping, I thought I'd try the jumbo size, which turned out to be somewhat larger than I expected indeed, and this turned out to be less useful than a bit more magnification. I'd go with the standard sort.

I also have long used both a Vivitar +10 close-up adapter, (Which makes a very nice magnifying glass, actually ,) as well as a kind of-generic Paterson enlarging lens.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-02-2010 at 01:38 PM.
09-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
yeehaa, this looks like a whole new way to drop money on my photography. Its a bit disappointing that the loupes are so expensive, given the price I managed to pick up my 50mm f2.8 Nikkor enlarging lens. The other thing I am going to have to get is a light table. Still, I've managed to sell the V300 pretty quickly which means I can subsidise this. 1 step forwards, 2 steps back
09-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
yeehaa, this looks like a whole new way to drop money on my photography. Its a bit disappointing that the loupes are so expensive, given the price I managed to pick up my 50mm f2.8 Nikkor enlarging lens. The other thing I am going to have to get is a light table. Still, I've managed to sell the V300 pretty quickly which means I can subsidise this. 1 step forwards, 2 steps back
Well, for a light table, one thing I like is to use an under-cabinet flourescent lighting fixture: find one with a smooth diffuser, and you can view a strip at a time without taking up a lot of space.

Loupes, well, you can spend a lot or spend about eight dollars at like Freestyle on that 'Agfa' type, perfectly serviceable, even if it's kind of more of a pleasure to use something really high-quality, there's really no need to spend so much, especially for black and white. (That is, apart from that view camera application, but that's not a concern for you, it sounds like.)

Nice enlarging lens choice, by the way, have one of those, myself. (I like the bright viewing of the 2.8ness. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-07-2010 at 06:07 PM.