Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Just developed my first roll

To make a long story short, I got serious about photography when I got my K200D last spring and this year I felt compelled to venture into film. I found a gorgeous MX online and I've shot a few rolls. Two were developed at a lab, but that's insanely expensive here so I decided to try it myself.

Today I got everything I needed for mixing my own Caffenol-C and developed a roll of Fuji Superia 400 in it. Yep, that's right - C41 color film developed as black and white in instant coffee. It sure is an amazing feeling to take the roll out and discover that it actually contains pictures!

I can't scan them at home, but I've got a scanner that does transparencies at work so I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

I've got a feeling that my K200D will spend more time in the bag and the MX on my shoulder...

08-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You'd get deeper, richer negatives if you use Starbuckenol. Why not just shoot BW film if you want to develop at home?
08-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
I bought the color film because it was the only one available at the time (I was in a very small town...). I do have a couple of BW rolls waiting to get developed as well :-)
09-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
I'm in the process of scanning right now... Here's one from the Superia roll:

And some T-MAX 100, caffenol-c - my second roll:

I scanned on an Epson V200, using the default settings for BW negatives. The scans could probably be made much better (and cleaner...) but I just wanted to get the pictures digital. I might get a real film scanner some day, this is sooo much more fun that memory cards!

09-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Excellent results, and you have a good eye. I especially appreciate #2, the bright plant with a dark background.

I find the Epson auto exposure is set to clip highlights a bit - this probably because in a typical snapshot with sky doing so results in a better exposure of the land bits and a perceived openness to shade. Sometimes with shots like yours I find moving the high slider further right helps - though then usually I need to slide it back in photoshop In the case of your excellent scans, however, perhaps you'd only retrieve a slight bit of highlight on the last photo.
09-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks!

The scans aren't great, there is some clipping and quite a lot of dust on some of them. But I wasn't looking for great scans - I borrowed a scanner at work and was just trying to get them done as fast as possible.
09-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yeah, #2 is great. Good results. #3 looks like orthochromatic film with that sky.

09-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those are good shots. I've been looking into doing some alternative process c-41, do you mind sharing your technique?
09-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks!

I used 27g washing soda, 20g instant coffe and 8g ascorbic acid for 500ml water. Dissolved the soda first, then the coffee and last the ascorbic acid. I let it sit for a few minutes, while loading the rolls. I developed the Superia 400 for 20 minutes, agitating the first minute and then a few turns every three minutes. Rinsed with lots of water (I didn't use a stop bath) and then fixed with Kodak T-Max fixer (because it was the one my local photography store had).

I'm really just getting started, but it's great fun! If you have any questions, ask away - even though I'll probably not be able to answer...
09-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pontusadefjord Quote
I scanned on an Epson V200, using the default settings for BW negatives. The scans could probably be made much better (and cleaner...) but I just wanted to get the pictures digital. I might get a real film scanner some day, this is sooo much more fun that memory cards!
Those photos are actually probably worse off being scanned as BW than as colour neg. You could've used dust reduction (ICE) on them, gotten rid of the spots. I'm not sure if the BW mode for the V200 has that available.