Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #1

Film storage question

I've seen lots of people suggest that film be kept frozen or refrigerated. I accidentally left a whole bunch of color and black and white film in the trunk of my car over the weekend, where it got really hot. Will I have any issues processing the film? It was ISO 200 and 400 and none of it has expired yet.

09-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cold is good, heat is not over long periods.

There is no way to know how it will come out so I suggest a "snip test" where you just pop a few shots of an average subject and have the lab "snip" off and develop the first few frames normally. Then, based on those results, they may be able to make some corrections in the development of the rest of the film.

Not all labs can do it and it usually costs a little extra.
09-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah do a test and see what happens. The colour film would be the most affected, so it may have faded colours, fogging and more grain.

Hope it goes well!

Phil
09-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed. An alternative to a snip test is cheap processing or negs-only if that saves any. Just sacrifice a test roll and see what the damage is. If the color survived, the B&W likely did, as well.

09-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I shot a roll today and got it developed at a local one-hour lab and the photos came out grainy and faded but usable. I even think it can be an interesting look for certain subjects. However, I don't want to mess up any more film this way and now I'm paranoid. How hot is too hot and how long is too long? If I go camping at the beach, should I store the film in a cooler? Would a loaded camera be alright in a cooler? Thanks again for your help and sorry for the stupid questions.
09-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jenny Quote
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I shot a roll today and got it developed at a local one-hour lab and the photos came out grainy and faded but usable.
Keep in mind the first batch of 1-hour prints is usually not the best the neg can produce. Examining a well-printed proof sheet is a better way to judge the quality of the negs.