Digital Processing, Software, and Printing Forum 1236.36%
Dedicated Sub-forum 13.03%
Don't Care 13.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scanner Questions/Discussions...Where Do They Belong?

This forum was created a few months back as a location for film processing discussion. At that time a number of scanner-related threads were relocated here. The remainder ended up on the "Digital Processing, Software, and Printing" forum. So, for those of us that do a hybrid, film-based workflow, just where would we prefer to look for and post scanner-related topics?

09-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted for digital processing because this is what you are going to do with the results.
09-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I voted for here because I'm scanning film, and thus it is a component of the film process workflow.

What I do with the image afterwards, now that's an interesting qandry: if I'm talking about how to maximize the quality of scan (sharpening etc without messing up the grain, eg.) I'd put it here as well.

For me, if the basis is film processing, it belongs here. Noise ninjas and pixel poppers, RAW cookers and stuff like that, in digital processing.
09-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Scanning is a DIGITAL PROCESS just like taking a photo with a DSLR... thus it belongs in the DIGITAL PROCESSING forum. Scanning is not part of the traditional analog process which begins with shooting on film and ends with a transparency or an image printed upon light sensitive materials. Scanning is the bridge between the analog process and the digital one, yet by it's nature, it is intrinsically and completely digital.

09-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
...yet by it's nature, it is intrinsically and completely digital.
The technology is digital, but the process is film-dependent. Successful scanning is not as simple as pushing a button on a dSLR. It requires fairly intimate knowledge of the film characteristics and the ability to read the negative/slide for appropriate interpretation. It is strictly analogous to traditional optical printing.

That being said, I can see your logic. After all, digital is digital, right? A scanner is just a variation of a digital camera and the software that runs it is like the image processor inside the camera. The main difference is the how the image is captured and the way in which the technology is being used. For a dSLR, digitization is the main event. For scanning, digitization is a single intermediate step in the process from image capture to publication. The digitization is an optional extension of traditional darkroom process. Film and film processing is the full rational and the only reason to even own a photo scanner.

Steve

BTW...If the intent is solely to produce a digital image, why is it that any of us are even bothering to scan? After all, the price of a decent scanner and a reliable camera is about the same as a new K-x.

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-01-2010 at 01:33 PM.
09-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted for the Film Processing and Darkroom Forum, as you are scanning film negatives or slides. It’s still a film process, even though the end result is a digital image. It’s also something that a film user is interested in and not a digital shooter.

The intended audience is the most important and that is the Film Processing and Darkroom Forum.

Phil.
09-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While the process is digital in nature, and I agree with all your points, it is actually used by people who still work with film. It is still a process with film regardless of the output. The way I see it is that the audience (we) is (are) more inclined to see film related topics in one place and this is still considered a film related topic.
Yes there is overlap and no clean cut line, but unless instructed otherwise, my preference is to keep all my scanning topics here.
Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks,

09-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I voted for the Film Processing and Darkroom Forum, as you are scanning film negatives or slides. It’s still a film process, even though the end result is a digital image. It’s also something that a film user is interested in and not a digital shooter.

The intended audience is the most important and that is the Film Processing and Darkroom Forum.

Phil.
+1
That's why i voted for the film processing section too
09-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I too vote for Film Processing and Darkroom. You won't find any pure digital shooters interested at all in the analog to digital conversion. It is just another medium for the negative/positive and a modern "darkroom" process.
09-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Dedicated Sub-forum
Good luck with that. We've already been warned there aren't enough posts in this forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Digital Processing, Software, and Printing Forum
Film scanning posts would surely drown in a sea of digital noise there.

What's wrong with keeping them here as they presently are?

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-05-2010 at 02:04 PM.
09-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
...What's wrong with keeping them here as they presently are?
This poll was in response to a couple of PM exchanges I have had with the mods. I was told that the consensus of site management is that scanner topics belong in the digital processing forum. As a result, "misplaced" threads are being moved there instead of to here. A quick search for the term "scanner" on the digital processing forum will reveal a number of threads (including one of mine) that I could have sworn did not start out there. In fact, most of the scanner-related threads are now found there. Now, I don't want to get involved in a dispute with the mods, but I thought it might be useful to get some feedback from the PF film users and those of us that regularly use scanners to create digital versions of our work.

Steve
09-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting...

So they're moving threads elsewhere that should go here,
then warning us that there's not enough activity here.

Don't they like us?

Chris
09-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Interesting...

So they're moving threads elsewhere that should go here,
then warning us that there's not enough activity here.

Don't they like us?

Chris
Ha! Ha!

My paranoia does not run that high! I was just wanting to give the film users an opportunity to add some input into the process. BTW...does anyone know whether any of the mods shoot film?

Steve
09-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm not too concerned as to where they are located as long as I can find them. I first looked in the Digital Processing forum but found more scanner related threads in here. Scanning is digital processing and also involves editing software so I naturally would look in the other place. I would suggest that "scanning" be added to the title of whatever forum it is decided on to put scanner related topics in so folks will know where to look and and post.
09-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
...I first looked in the Digital Processing forum but found more scanner related threads in here. Scanning is digital processing and also involves editing software so I naturally would look in the other place. ...
Yeah, it is an odd beast. So maybe new comers to film and scanning go that route? But if you think who is doing the scanning - film photographers - you'd quickly find your way here too?