Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

digitizing slides?...

I know that it has been discussed in previous threads (as I've been scanning through many of them). But taking into consideration new technology/product, I'm wondering if there are any new revelations is converting old slides to a digital format? When all is said and done, I probably have a thousand to convert (once I weed out the other 2000 shots of people that I have know way of knowing who they are.)
I've taken the odd one to a local processing shop and have not been overly impressed with the result. Which leads me to my next question. For the one hundred or so that I would like the highest quality digital capture as possible, what is the best proven method?
Thanks in advance for the responses!
gw

09-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get them done professionally. A thousand slides at .40 a piece is about the price of a decent slide scanner and scanning lots of slides is one of the most boring things in the world.
09-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be aware, however, that bulk scanning produces "proof" quality images. This is true even when you do your own scanning using a stack loader or batch scanning on a flatbed. Display quality scans require individual effort with each slide.

Steve
09-06-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Im all ears, have fair amount of 3m 400 isa(E-6) any special concerns with that
particular stock that should be mentioned when I have it done?

09-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want premium quality "corrected" scans done at a lab, then it gets very costly.

Phil
09-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Another option is to get a bellows slide copier and set up your digital SLR to copy slides. Once you've worked out the setup, and have a suitable even-color-temperature light source (e.g. flash, maybe diffused), you can get a pretty fast throughput - mainly, everything stays the same, you just substitute one slide for the other. And you can get very good quality this way as well.
09-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I invested in a quality scanner, and I have not been sorry. No, scanning is not the most interesting thing in the world, but the quality is worth it. Actually, I kind of enjoy viewing and adjusting the scans.
09-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

For me, the newest revelation is that, with great care and attention to detail, my Epson V750 can produce scans from 35mm comparable to those from a dedicated film scanner. The trick is to use Silverfast and watch your individual channels. If you maximise the levels on each channel, and scan at 16-bit, of course, the results can be spectacular - colours look fantastic, especially with negative film. The only downside is slightly greater chromatic aberration than you might expect from a decent film scanner, but it is easily correctable. A healthy dose of capture sharpening is also required, naturally.

By the way, I heartily recommend using the BetterScanning anti-Newton-ring glass insert for 35mm.

09-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I bought a minolta Dimage II in 2000

Although not the highest resolution or color depth it has created 20,000 image files in 40 bit color with 2880 dpi or in other words 10M pixel files

Best thing I ever did. Not overly fast the part time project took over 4 years but I was able to adjust and tweak each image. This took care of the differences between kodachrome, E6 and an untold different number of print films including B&W

If you are going to batch scan separate your shots by film type and ask for color adjustment by film type

Aside from time my $600 scanner cost $0.03 per scan and for time I would run it while watching TV or while reading

The carrier batch scanned 4 slides or 6 prints in the carrier at the time
09-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was given an old photolab grade slide duplicator today. It will take an enlarging lens and I'm pretty sure I have a Pentax mount for it. If not, I can borrow a Nikon .
09-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I was given an old photolab grade slide duplicator today. It will take an enlarging lens and I'm pretty sure I have a Pentax mount for it. If not, I can borrow a Nikon .
Woo! Hoo!

Who needs a scanner?

Steve
01-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #12

I bought a Plustek Optifilm 7500I that cane with Silver Fast Software that included the Kodachrome suppurt. No regrets scanned hundreds of slides and now I am working on scanning all my old B/W and color negatives.

Not as fast as a higher end Nikon scanner but gives great results. It is winter gets dark early so might as well spend the time doing something productive like scanning your film and slides.
01-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is an interesting article I found on digitizing slides.

Slide Digitizing -- Parkinson

Phil.
01-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I found only one product on the market practical for quantity scanning, the Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED Film Scanner and its associated SF-210 slide feeder. Price with tax was $1900. A Nikon discussion group complained about the habit of the overpriced $470 stack loader to jam and offered suggestions that involved cutting plastic or fixing springs. The killer was the time it took for the pre-scan, main scan and (when activated) the dust/scratch removal scan — three to four minutes per image. Essentially users stated that they loaded 40 slides and went to bed — hoping in the morning that nothing had jammed. This could take the rest of my life but the results were reportedly outstanding with multi-megabyte images and excellent colour bit depth and optical density.
I have one of those scanners with a slide feeder, and it took about an hour for a box of slides at 4,000dpi with digital ice. Yes, the results are outstanding and yes, it can be multi-megabyte images.

The fix doesn't involve cutting plastic - or at least nothing on the scanner or slide feeder. It's a credit card or a bit of one taped to reduce the width of the slot the slide is pushed through.

I got mine in the UK several years ago for 600 and I could sell it for more now. Quite a bit more! If you want to do quality scans of lots of slides at home I don't think there's anything to touch it. I scanned 50 boxes in a couple of weeks - I work at home, so I'd load it up and set it running. Mostly it didn't jam, Kodachrome in card mounts were the worst, then I'd put one box of slides away and get the next. Of course if I went out of the room it did jam.
01-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I wish I recalled the science mag, it might have been popular science a new scanner scans the negative immediatly no waiting, by taking three pictures thru a lens each picture is one of the primary colors red green blue then they are merged with 12 mp resolution its to cost $400.

I am in the process of scanning 35mm b&w negatives with an epson v600 i got from amazon for $180 it is painefully slow at 6400dpi but reasonably quick at 3200 dpi( about a minute per picture) the negatives were around 40 years old. the tiff file were insane 25 mb and larger.I was impressed but then again I know nothing about scanning how many dpi do oyu need for an 8x10 print? is there a formula.
here are two scans of pictures taken 40 years ago in my youth.
Since these were the first scans i've ever done and i am new to digital photo.I'd be interested in your suggestions.
Attached Images

Last edited by shootreadyaim; 01-26-2011 at 11:49 PM.