Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Home developing

I'm trying to get set up for developing at home. I've done darkroom work before, during photo classes, I shoot exclusively film, and understand the developing process. BUT, I don't know exactly what I'm going to need for home developing. Obviously a tank, and I was planning to buy powdered developer and fix, as it's cheaper and less dodgy to ship. Still, I don't really know where to buy from or if I'm missing something. My plan, essentially, was to buy a tank, acufine powder, and kodak powder fix from adorama. How essential is the changing bag? Can I get away with a dark room and a towel under the door?

What do I do with used developer and fix? I can't exactly poor it down the drain, can I?
And of course, tapwater is probably bad for negatives (streaking, spots, etc.), is distilled water a good way to fix this problem? Is it even a problem?

09-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, a dark room with a towel under the door will do just fine. You might not even need the towel. I use my laundry room (no windows) and wait until it is dark outside and turn off all the lights in the house. With the door shut, it is quite dark! A few things to remember. Take off your watch if it has a luminous dial. Also remember to leave the cell phone outside as well as any other electronic devices that might suddenly "light up". If you use compact fluorescent bulbs, be aware that they continue to glow for several minutes after they are turned off.

As for supplies, I think you have a good list started. I noticed that your list does not include a thermometer. You will need one. As for shipping hassle with liquid developer...I have had no problems. The only issue is that it must be shipped via ground transport.

The used developer and fixer can go down the drain with a good chaser of water. The chemicals, though not good for you if you should drink them (poison), are not particularly bad for the environment. The main issue is silver salts in the used fixer that really should be reclaimed if possible. Here is a link to the Kodak publication on the subject:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/corp/environment/kes/pubs/pdfs/j300.pdf

Steve
09-20-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. My Swiss Army watch, which has an almost excessively luminous dial, has fogged, although not outright ruined, a roll or two in the past. That's interesting about the fluorescent bulbs. I have an old thermometer, and I've developed without really paying attention to temperature before. It's not the best way, but it works if no thermometer is available. Also that's a good link about the silver. Supposedly my local pro-lab will take used fixer.
09-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Store powdered chemicals dry and cool.
Used fix can be reused up to around 6 months.
Developer is one time.
If your water is hard used distilled, add photo flo to you final rinse to avoid water marks.
If you get a changing bag, you can spool film in that anywhere ... in the bag lol.
Remember add a clip at the end of the roll when drying.

09-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
...Used fix can be reused up to around 6 months...
...or until exhausted. Fixer has a limited capacity that diminishes with use. There are test kits available to test for spent fixer. I personally use it twice and then discard.

Steve
09-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Remember from my kid's fish-tank days having to let aquarium refill sit for 24 hours for
chlorine to evaporate. Beyond that, some of the water filters availible now days for
as little as $40 are quite effective in removing trace minerals that could cause problems.
Might save a little in long run over distilled water.

Im a little leary of water from some of the 'softners' because of high sodium content.
09-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A changing bag is nice to have, by the way, particularly if you live somewhere it never really gets dark.

I used to just use a darkened bedroom at night and load under a bunch of blankets and comforters to protect from sneaky streetlights or whatnot. It's more than sufficient, but not always convenient to wait for dark if you don't have like a windowless room or whatever.

I scored a pretty nice one on Ebay for not-much-at-all. (Yeah, actually 'nice,' too, which was a bit of a surprise to me: they're usually pretty much the same nylon-jacket-kind-of material. Whoever made this one didn't take any credit for it, unfortunately. )

Come to think of it, you can even use a suitable winter parka or improvise one out of a couple of old jackets. I used a policeman's, once to rescue some film someone had managed to break off inside their camera.