Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Buying film online

First off, not sure if this is the right place, so mod please feel free to move it to the right place, apologies.

I'd like to get me some cheap ISO 1600 B&W film online, and I'm kinda new to this film thing, anyhow, I'd like to know a good cheap place to pick up a few rolls.

09-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi nixcamic,

For fresh new film B&H photo has low prices: Roll Film Before clicking that link, please click a B&H link on the Pentax Forums home page, so the forum will get credit.

Another less expensive option is to buy expired film on ebaY from a store or studio that has kept the film in cold storage; stores & studios typically buy large quantities at discount, then cold-store it to keep it fresh. After the expire date they sell the leftover film for reduced price and buy fresh new stock. Cold-stored film quality is often indistinguishable from fresh new film.
09-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Freestyle photo is very supportive of film and B&W photography and tries to keep their prices down. My current gambit for high-ISO is to use their Arista Premium 400 (reputedly the same as Tri-X) with Diafine developer for the speed boost to about 1600. (I still haven't gotten to this yet: I've been shooting slowly as regarded my stores of another brand: we'll see how the results are, but this film only cost me about two bucks a roll.

They also carry Neopan 1600, which looks to be running about five bucks a roll, tthat's probably about the going rate. I haven't done a lot of shopping this year, though.
09-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Between B&H and Freestyle, you should have most of your needs covered. It pays to compare prices, often Freestyle is cheaper for b&w, B&H for color.

09-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Between B&H and Freestyle, you should have most of your needs covered. It pays to compare prices, often Freestyle is cheaper for b&w, B&H for color.
Don't forget Adorama either. Between the three, you can get just about anything that is available in N. America.

Steve
09-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

In addition to those mentioned, I also get some things from The Frugal Photographer as well as Blue Moon Camera & Machine. BH as been mentioned but they also have 127 film!
09-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All of these are solid recommendations, but what about Digitaltruth? They definitely have one of the largest selections of B&W, and they have Foma and Efke, which, from what I've seen, is only stocked by them and Freestyle. And with freestyle you have to order 25$ of stuff before they'll ship it.

09-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Freestyle for B&W. Absolutely. I have shopped around and while someone may be cheaper than them, if I need chemistry, etc in the order I almost always come out ahead buying from them.

The bad part is I am on the other side of the country as them; shipping takes a week using the standard option.

I am not sure if they ship to Guatemala, better call them first.