Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Chemicals in Canada?

So, I have nothing but a Paterson tank, a roll of Ilford Delta 400 and a makeshift darkroom. Now, chemical bottles and funnels I can get, but chemicals are another matter.

I'm looking for beginners stuff (one shot, premixed), but I have no idea where to get them from. I live in Delta, Canada (Near Vancouver)

Any ideas? Mail order is OK, I can wait

10-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's actually a good question: there's a possibility my sweetie and I might move there. Perhaps Henry's?

You won't find a lot of 'pre-mixed' chemicals, but plenty in liquid concentrate, which are easy to mix. (Sometimes something I appreciate with the artritis. Other than that, mixing chemicals is generally just a little chore at worst: nothing to be intimidated about. When I was in high school, I'd even buttonhole some athletes for the task on occasion, when our darkroom was crazy-busy. No worries. )

Also, you might try Freestyle Photo (like freestylephoto.biz, I think is the name, ...they're very beginner and educator friendly, and may have a decent international shipping thing. At least, I think they're closer to you within the US than my other go-to folks, Adorama and B&H: I often get my film and chemistry from them when I'm buying other things.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-10-2010 at 09:12 AM.
10-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi Keyser,
Living on the Lower Mainland, you should have some local options for B&W chemistry, though you might have to drive into the city. With any luck, maybe Luc or one of the other BC shooters will jump into this thread with suggestions. If not, you can always just go to the Yellow Pages in the phone book and call around. I would suggest Kerrisdale Cameras as a start point. I remember their shop from years ago when I lived on Pt. Gray.

There are a number of options, but conventional wisdom is to start with conventional chemistry as you are getting started. That would mean a powdered one-shot "standard" developer (D-76 or similar), powdered fixer, and Photo Flo as a rinse aid. You can use either water or stop bath in between develop and fix. Concentrated liquid developers such as Rodinal or HC-110 are also an option because they have great shelf life and can be quite economical in the long run. The only issue is sorting out what dilution you want to use.

Good luck!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-10-2010 at 09:34 AM.
10-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Lens and Shutter carries chemicals. Probably also Leo's and one or two other places in Vancouver.

Incidentally, I hate the propensity of photographers to use the term "chemistry" instead of "chemicals'. Chemicals are the materials you work with. Chemistry is the science on which your procedures are based.

John

10-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Incidentally, I hate the propensity of photographers to use the term "chemistry" instead of "chemicals'. Chemicals are the materials you work with. Chemistry is the science on which your procedures are based.
John,
I had to chuckle when I read that. Photography is not the only field where reagents are referred to as chemistry and it always sort of bothered me as well, but after years of working in both research and clinical labs, I fall into that usage on occasion. I think I first heard the word used that way at UBC.

Steve
10-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I need to take a trip downtown! Maybe I'll actually shoot a roll in B&W to give me the kick I need to get it sorted. My dSLR is bust right now, and this time of year is great for B&W!

I think I'll go for Rodinal for simplicity (besides, I like the name), I guess the next question is.. is all fix created equally?
10-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the basic stuff, look at darkroomcentral.ca
For more elaborated chemicals and films - freestyle is the best option provided you put orders for several items together (otherwise handling cost and shipping costs will kill you).

Luc

10-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try Beau Photo at 6th and Granville in Vancouver.

Beau Photo Supplies - Cameras, Equipment, Albums, Rentals

Note they are not open on weekends!

Phil.
10-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote

John
Yeah, but we need our 'photography' just the same.

Sounds like Canada's pretty well fixed for supplies, though. Might save some awkwardness with customs and immigration. Now it won't be like: 'Do you have anything to declare?' *wheeling in cartload of paper and chemicals.* "Yes. Film's not dead, and I plan to stay a while?"

'Are you importing that?'

'Personal use. I'm hoping to live a while.'
10-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
John, I had to chuckle when I read that... Steve
I believe you two have developed a chemistry.

Chris
10-15-2010, 03:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Frugal Photographer is in Canada, for mail order, they have some interesting supplies:
The Frugal Photographer Catalog
10-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I believe you two have developed a chemistry.
I don't know about chemistry, but I very much respect John's work and input on these forums!

Steve