Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&W image reversal by re-exposure

Years ago I tried my hand at B&W processing and printing of my photos. One thing which I discovered along the way was that I could reverse an image in order to print a slide onto B&W paper. First I exposed the paper using the slide, then I re-exposed the paper to light while the image was in the developer. This caused the negative image of the slide to reverse, giving me a positive image on the paper. Another curious feature was a white halo effect around the image. Has anyone else experimented with this? Can anyone explain chemically or in some practical terms how it works? Thinking about it logically, you might expect the reversed and positive image to cancel each other out, but they don't.

Here's an example. The colour slide was printed onto B&W paper, re-exposed in the developer (which you can see in the cloudy background) then later sepia toned chemically. I haven't changed the tones in the scanned image.

11-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Google Sabbatier effect.
11-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Google Sabbatier effect.
Yes, except I haven't found a reference yet where anyone mentions printing a slide onto B&W paper using the sabattier effect to get a positive image from a positive source. The halo effect is called Mackie lines apparently.
11-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Yes, except I haven't found a reference yet where anyone mentions printing a slide onto B&W paper using the sabattier effect to get a positive image from a positive source. The halo effect is called Mackie lines apparently.
Your process sounds like solarization (the Sabattier effect) of a color slide on BW paper. You can read about that in the Darkroom Handbook by Michael Langford, starting on page 236.

It show doing it with BW on BW paper where it reversed some of the tones and darken undeveloped areas. It also mentions the Mackie line effect you'll get along the borders of originally light and dark areas. A process for doing it with color on color paper is also given.

You did a color positive on BW negative paper and the process reversed it back to a positive. The book shows putting the paper development tray (with the print in it) back under the enlarger light instead of turning on the light in the room.

The book also gives a two procedures for getting BW prints from a color slide without the solarization process. One is to make a print onto panchromatic bromide paper to make a negative and then make the positive from with a another sheet of bromide paper by contact print. The other is to use reversal paper.

Last edited by tuco; 11-05-2010 at 10:58 PM.
11-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Tuco. The books I read talked about only mentioned the sabattier effect with a B&W neg, not slides on B&W paper.
11-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks Tuco. The books I read talked about only mentioned the sabattier effect with a B&W neg, not slides on B&W paper.
Well, do a search and you'll find doing a color slide on BW paper solarization mentioned, for example.
11-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I remember back in the dusty olden days people doing this in the darkroom and have seen instructions similar to those that tuco describes. Your example looks pretty good to me and might be sort of fun to try at some point. (Assuming I ever get the enlarger set up again )

Steve

11-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I remember back in the dusty olden days people doing this in the darkroom and have seen instructions similar to those that tuco describes. Your example looks pretty good to me and might be sort of fun to try at some point. (Assuming I ever get the enlarger set up again )
Thanks Steve! It was fun to try. The main issue I had with slides was that the enlarger film holder wasn't designed to hold a mounted slide. It's much easier with a strip of film!