Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #16
Inactive Account

I use Hewes reels and they are night and day better than all my other no-name/Nikor reels. I use SS Nikor tanks and they all leak to some degree. I use gloves when I process so it's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice if they sealed up tight. To make sure the reels are loaded correctly I run my fingers from the center of the reel to the edge. Improperly loaded film will stick out and grab your finger. loading 120 and 220 sucks compared to 35mm IMO. I hate those spring clips!!!

12-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
I use Hewes reels and they are night and day better than all my other no-name/Nikor reels. I use SS Nikor tanks and they all leak to some degree. I use gloves when I process so it's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice if they sealed up tight. To make sure the reels are loaded correctly I run my fingers from the center of the reel to the edge. Improperly loaded film will stick out and grab your finger. loading 120 and 220 sucks compared to 35mm IMO. I hate those spring clips!!!
Funny, for me I found loading 120 on Hewes a walk in the park and I struggle to load APX100 135 even on Hewes reels.

Cheers,

Luc
12-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I purchased a Nikor Q25 tank with a Kinderman 220 reel like new on eBay.
I was hoping to find some 220 to shoot with 6x9 but that is not going to happen.
SO I am thinking that it could be a good tank for stand development with plenty of space around the film if you load 120 only instead of 220.

Cheers,

Luc
12-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Funny, for me I found loading 120 on Hewes a walk in the park and I struggle to load APX100 135 even on Hewes reels.

Cheers,

Luc
That is funny. Getting the film to stay straight on the clip is what I find the most challenging.

12-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have only just started - but I am so far using Paterson tanks and reels, plastic. Works fine for me except that my first roll ever kept getting stuck when advancing into the reel... And my main tank leaks a bit. I think I will treat myself to a stainless tank and some Hewes reels early in the new year!
12-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
That is funny. Getting the film to stay straight on the clip is what I find the most challenging.
I ran my finger along the clip (Hewes reel) so I can feel if the film is parallel by checking the size of film that protrude. After the first turn I check the spiral for any film sticking out. Once this is done then it just go like a charm.

Cheers,

Luc
12-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You shouldn't give up on the Paterson tank and reels so quickly.

As previously stated the reel must be completely dry for trouble free loading.
Even the humidity generated by sweaty palms too long inside the changing bag can cause problems.
When in doubt dry the inside of the changing bag and everything (except the film) that will go inside it
(even your hands if necessary) with a hair dryer before you begin.
Then relax and work as quickly as possible.

I'm not sure about earlier and later models, but my Paterson System 4 tank uses a wide white plastic O-ring.
I suspect these might have gotten lost for many in the used market.
If you have one of these tanks its use is mandatory. Without it the tank will leak like a sieve.

My Paterson tank sometimes leaks a bit on its first inversion.
When it does I remove the cap, unscrew the lid slightly, retighten and replace the cap, "burping" it slightly.
This almost invariably stops the leak.

Good luck!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-05-2010 at 10:28 AM.
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Hi Chris,

I am using a Paterson system 4 tank and it does include the white plastic O-ring.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time.

cheers
12-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #24
Veteran Member

started with a Patterson and given another, bought into jobo cpe2 in mid 80s
their stuffs lot like Pats, more modular, Pats stand test of time,always wanted to
get steel, am spoiled plastic. use Pats for dek./Tri-x, jobo for C41,E6
seems like aggitation is too aggresive with jobo, like to do B/W by hand

I nip corners off of (35mm film) after cutting leader so they dont hang up on side rails of reels as decribed above and does seem to help in loading.
Thats where Ive had problems, and thats where things go bouncing away in the dark.
have a 16 by 20 inch tray bought to deal with that exact scenario.
Kind of un-decided about even popping top of cannister vs. just pulling shorter lengths,
letting gravity help. Once started, kind of a caedence to it , dont want to stop.
12-06-2010, 06:18 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More Paterson tips

I always open the cartridge end and remove the film.
In my experience the felt can cause scratches, especially reused cartridges used with bulk loaded film.

Cut both ends perpendicular to the length of the film, between sprocket holes.
Nipping the corners at a 45 degree angle is a good idea as mentioned.

When loading use short strokes, and let up when you feel too much resistance.
Don't try to force it or film will pop out of the channel and you'll have to start over.

It's much easier than it sounds.
Practice in daylight with a scrap roll and you will have no problem doing it all by feel.

Chris
12-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I always open the cartridge end and remove the film.
In my experience the felt can cause scratches, especially reused cartridges used with bulk loaded film.
Funny enough, I can just rip em open by the felt-gate. (not for bulk cartridges, of course.) But it doesn't take a lot of force if you can get your fingers in there, (I've found that even on bad arthritis days it's not hard: even if leader-trimming gets kind of silly: sometimes I'd extract the leader and trim it in the light, but there we are.) I like it cause it keeps the film from flying around loose till it's on the reel, and it's not being forced through the felt or loose in the dark bag, so it seems better for scratches.

(Oh, btw, Chris, I don't know if it went in the DB loss, but need any extra Paterson reels or parts? I got a pretty big lot off Ebay that I was going to split with a friend, but most of the tank bodies were DOA, so I have lots of other stuff. I like to keep extra reels around at least so that I don't have to wait for them to get dry when I do a lot of developing. )
12-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used stainless steel tanks and reels for a long time. Once you get the hang of the SS reels, it is easy. You need to practice over and over again to get the technique down. I wasted just one roll of clean unexposed film to do the practicing initially.

The best part of the tanks and reels is that they are easy to clean and if you need to reuse the reels quickly, you just need to rinse them in real hot water and they dry in a heart beat!

The downside of the SS reels is if you drop one. You will NEVER get it properly aligned again, just toss them. Be nice to your equipment!

And Murphy's Law for photographers (one of them anyway) is that the images you screw up will be irreplaceable, important or shot in a place you cannot get back to!

Regards,
12-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
The best part of the tanks and reels is that they are easy to clean and if you need to reuse the reels quickly, you just need to rinse them in real hot water and they dry in a heart beat!...
Another benefit of SS over plastic is that it is easier to control temperature because metal is a poor isulator. I keep everything in a tempered water bath during development and SS and glass jars respond to changes in the tempered water faster and more consistently. Plastic would probably work much better if you were pouring in chemicals and leaving them out in the air though.
12-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

My Paterson tank sometimes leaks a bit on its first inversion.
When it does I remove the cap, unscrew the lid slightly, retighten and replace the cap, "burping" it slightly.
This almost invariably stops the leak.

Good luck!

Chris
I tried this method just recently and it either significantly reduced or eliminated the leak. Hard to tell as the top of the tank was already a bit wet. Thanks Chris!
12-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cameraboy Quote
you guys are really lucky even being able to buy film where i live my choice but nobody even knows what film is just blank stares and why not digital even though i have my k7 ian
I'm pretty sure Freestyle ships worldwide.