Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What tanks/reels do you use?

Having just botched about 10 exposures I really wanted, I'm finally ready to ditch my 30 year old collection of well-used no-name or forgotten-name metal reels and spring for some new Hewes reels. Of course, the spot that was poorly loaded was right in the middle of some nice shots of visiting friends. ( Actually, it was a really bad day in the darkroom. The roll I didn't misload I dropped on the floor when damp, and it is full of embedded filth.)

I'm curious what tanks and reels others here use, and what the experience has been.

11-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gene,

I also had some problems with improper film loading on my old plastic tanks, so recently bought the Arista Premium single-roll 35mm plastic tank. They also make a dual-roll version that can do 35mm & medium format.

This is an excellent-quality tank with O-ring lid seal and water-tight top cap if you want to do inversions. It also can be rotary agitated with the included spindle, if you prefer that kind of agitation. I've tried both, and it works perfectly either way. What is REALLY nice about this setup is the reel. It has some ball-bearing grabbers along the edge of the reel where the film feeds onto the reel, and as you walk the film onto the reel it is automatic - a real breeze to load in the changing bag without needing to touch the film with your fingers. No more crinkled film or areas where film touches adjacent spirals. Obviously, I'm very happy with this new setup.

Here is a link to Freestyle Photo for the single 35mm tank/reel - in my opinion it is an excellent value.

Arista Premium Plastic Single 35mm reel Film Developing Tank with one reel | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Here is a picture from a roll I developed last night in this tank.

Morning aftermath from Thanksgiving dinner.
Pentax K1000, Vivitar-A 19mm f3.8, Kodak Tri-X, pushed to ISO1600,
Rodinal 1+100, 90 minutes semi-stand, negative scanned with Epson V500.

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Having just botched about 10 exposures I really wanted, I'm finally ready to ditch my 30 year old collection of well-used no-name or forgotten-name metal reels and spring for some new Hewes reels. Of course, the spot that was poorly loaded was right in the middle of some nice shots of visiting friends. ( Actually, it was a really bad day in the darkroom. The roll I didn't misload I dropped on the floor when damp, and it is full of embedded filth.)

I'm curious what tanks and reels others here use, and what the experience has been.
11-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just processed my first roll using my new Hewes reel a couple of days ago.
Where has this been all my life!
It was a pleasure to use. The two prongs to engage the sprocket holes work like a charm and the reel itself is very sturdy and very well aligned. My other reel is a Nikor (also good), but the difference is night and day. The Hewes truly is the Lexus of stainless steel reels.

If you already own and are happy with stainless steel tanks, the Hewes reel is a sound investment.

Steve

(BTW...I also have the Arista Premium tank (two reel size). As Joe says, it is nicely made (especially the ratchet-type reels), but sadly, mine leaks when used for inversion. Apparently YMMV with that design.)
11-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Gene,

I also had some problems with improper film loading on my old plastic tanks, so recently bought the Arista Premium single-roll 35mm plastic tank. They also make a dual-roll version that can do 35mm & medium format.

This is an excellent-quality tank with O-ring lid seal and water-tight top cap if you want to do inversions. It also can be rotary agitated with the included spindle, if you prefer that kind of agitation. I've tried both, and it works perfectly either way. What is REALLY nice about this setup is the reel. It has some ball-bearing grabbers along the edge of the reel where the film feeds onto the reel, and as you walk the film onto the reel it is automatic - a real breeze to load in the changing bag without needing to touch the film with your fingers. No more crinkled film or areas where film touches adjacent spirals. Obviously, I'm very happy with this new setup.

Here is a link to Freestyle Photo for the single 35mm tank/reel - in my opinion it is an excellent value.
-Joe-
I bought my Hewes reels from Freestyle, and I threw in to the order an Arista Premium tank with reels. It's about the same price for the set as one Hewes reel, so what the heck. Many years ago, I started out developing in a plastic tank on plastic reels. They work pretty well as long as everything is clean. Metal is faster, but now that I'm not loading as often, it seems like I'm losing my touch.

Your very nice photo (especially pushed) reminds me that I also put some of the Arista Premium 400 into the order. Now that Legacy Pro 400 seems to be going away, I'll see if this film really is Tri-X.

11-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just processed my first roll using my new Hewes reel a couple of days ago.
Where has this been all my life!
It was a pleasure to use. The two prongs to engage the sprocket holes work like a charm and the reel itself is very sturdy and very well aligned. My other reel is a Nikor (also good), but the difference is night and day.

If you already own and are happy with stainless steel tanks, the Hewes reel is a sound investment.

Steve

(BTW...I also have the Arista Premium tank (two reel size). As Joe says, it is nicely made (especially the ratchet-type reels), but sadly, mine leaks when used for inversion. Apparently YMMV with that design.)
That is good news on the Hewes. Loading reels has always been my least favorite part of 135 processing. Losing a big piece of one of my Thanksgiving rolls (not the kind that you butter) was a heartbreak. The other two rolls are BW400CN, so I can see if my luck continues at the minilab.
11-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #6

re film

you guys are really lucky even being able to buy film where i live my choice but nobody even knows what film is just blank stares and why not digital even though i have my k7 ian
11-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

That is good news on the Hewes. Loading reels has always been my least favorite part of 135 processing. Losing a big piece of one of my Thanksgiving rolls (not the kind that you butter) was a heartbreak. The other two rolls are BW400CN, so I can see if my luck continues at the minilab.
With those SS reels, I found that if you push and pull the film back and forth while loading it on each turn of a wrap you can feel the film sliding free or binding letting you know the edges are in the groves or not. I have not had a failure since using that technique.

Last edited by tuco; 11-27-2010 at 11:21 AM.
11-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
With those SS reels, I found that if you push and pull the film back and forth while loading it on each turn of a wrap you can feel the film sliding free or binding letting you know the edges are in the groves or not. I have not had a failure since using that technique.
I normally do a little something like that, but I seem to have spaced any problem this time out. Back in the film days, I was doing this at least once a week. Partly because of my bike accident, it has been at least 3 months. Habits get muddy with the gape in time.
11-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your very nice photo (especially pushed) reminds me that I also put some of the Arista Premium 400 into the order. Now that Legacy Pro 400 seems to be going away, I'll see if this film really is Tri-X.
Gene,

Indeed, Arista Premium 400 IS Kodak Tri-X. My 100-foot reel of Arista Premium 400 says right on the edge "Kodak 400TX" as shown here...

-Joe-
Attached Images

11-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Nikor SS tanks of various sizes and Hewes reels (35 and 120).
Second Tuco's tips to get the film set on the grroves of the reels.

Cheers,

Luc
11-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use since mid 80's the Jobo Systemtanks 1500
11-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the Paterson plastic tanks and reels I have used since the early 1980's.
Some complain about Paterson reels jamming. This is often caused by moisture.
When developing multiple rolls in succession I use a hair dryer between rolls.

Chris
11-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've just got a pile of Paterson stuff, seems to be the same design as what Freestyle is selling, by the verbal descriptions, ...they work just fine, unless, as Chris said, there's moisture there. I've got so many spare reels though, (I got a big lot off Ebay that I intended to share with a friend, but most of the tanks were cracked, leaving me with lots of reels,) that I can always have dry ones.

Could possibly swap some around, or if you'd like any, Chris, just let me know, after all that stuff you sent me and all.
11-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I like the plastic tanks, they all may leak but I use the swizzle stick method anyway, until the wash.

There's a kind of plastic reel that has the larger tabs + ball bearings, which makes loading 120 film very easy. These are sold under several different brand names and are different from the Paterson et al due to the larger tabs.
11-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #15
Forum Member

i use the black-red plastic one.. not sure the brand names.. i think it's jobo rippoffs, but i dont have much choise here hehehe