Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Epson V700 - now is the time?

So I've been really using my Epson 4490 to its absolute fullest these days. I've scanned a ton more rolls than it cost (based on cost of having the store scan it) and it's been uber awesome and not to mention one of my most used tools.

My question is... well, I know this is something for me to answer, but what do you folks think of moving up to an Epson V700? I notice that a few of them are starting to come down in price. Is there something new coming out to replace them eventually?

12-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The photo lab where I work uses the V700 for everything from the occasional large-format negative to slides and prints. I've been regularly amazed at just how much detail it can eek out of an underexposed black-and-white negative.

I can't say I've been exactly blown away by it's performance with moderately underexposed slides, however. Then again, I'm not sure if there's really anything that will treat such an accident. The accompanying software is easy enough to use in its professional mode, but I believe you might get even better results with a third-party software package.

I used VueScan for quite a while with my Konica Minolta Dimage 5400 and there was a world of difference in how it performed with chromes. VueScan's GUI could use a giant overhaul, though. Silverfast is another program I've demoed and seems to do a good job.

In this kind of situation I would say you should get the V700 if it fits your budget. Unless you're totally unrealistic in your expectations I think it will do everything you need it to do. This is especially true if you were generally satisfied with your previous Epson scanner.
12-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
So I've been really using my Epson 4490 to its absolute fullest these days. I've scanned a ton more rolls than it cost (based on cost of having the store scan it) and it's been uber awesome and not to mention one of my most used tools.

My question is... well, I know this is something for me to answer, but what do you folks think of moving up to an Epson V700? I notice that a few of them are starting to come down in price. Is there something new coming out to replace them eventually?

The 4490 and the V500 are similar scanners. The 4990 and the V700 likewise.
This should just get you a minimal improvement. Many people that get the chance to find a 4990 for cheap passed the V700 altogether.
If you are scanning 120 I would rather get a 4990 at the lowest possible cost and then get a decent holder with AN glass.

Where you not already asking same on another thread in regards to 35mm scanning?

Cheers,

Luc
12-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I love my V700. But I don't have experience with the other ones mentioned, so maybe I'm not a good judge. But it can scan just about anything, & handle any film size. I recently scanned a bunch of 80-year-old negatives, all weird-sized little bits of film, & it did a really nice job. The Digital Ice scratch removal is terrific for old slides or negs. (Although, it can make them a little less sharp, & once in a while it misses & makes something quite fuzzy, but it's usually a poor image to start with.) Some reviewers have noted the flimsy film holders... you just have to handle them carefully...!
It does allow you to do some colour adjustment, which in quite a few cases has allowed me to pretty nearly match the colour balance in a print I liked from one lab or another.
Here is the review which helped convince me to buy one:
Scanner Review: Epson Perfection V700
I got it at a huge discount during a boxing-day sale. The retailer had a sale, plus there was a manufacturer's rebate. Maybe you can find a good deal with similar timing.
I'm so glad I came across information on this one before I ignorantly bought something with just software-based scratch removal.
I give it 5 stars

Last edited by Alliecat; 12-31-2010 at 12:06 AM.