Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Who knows in a couple years vinyl may even pass CD’s in the “physical” sale of music. Downloads will still be number one, but you don’t have an actual item to hold just a file.
So for a medium that most people wrote off years ago, it’s a comeback victory for analog!
(There is even new turntable manufactures springing up!)
I prefer to own a commercially produced physical "hard copy", be it CD or LP.
My most expensive ever ($70) audio CD purchase was recently for an out-of-print title.
I already had a downloaded MP3 copy of the same album.

I enjoy my LPs but not the inevitable surface noise.
Every CD player I have owned since the early 1990's has sounded good.
All else being equal I will choose the CD over an LP.

I recently replaced my home stereo single-disk CD player.
There are plenty of expensive high-end audiophile CD players,
but few popular priced single-disk models available brand new.
I think you will find a similar situation with turntables...

Chris

01-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Tsk tsk Steve, you do have an Internet connection you know...

OK, so you must be running a Windows > XP then (or mistakenly believe that an FDD is even required?). And if so, is it that the illegal sources, as well as the legal ones, are just too numerous to remember?
(The 'net does tend to have that "information overload" omnipresence which is very hard to avoid -- although search engines always remain.)

.R.
I have FreeDOS, but still wonder what happened to my other disks. Must be in a pile somewhere

The facts remain as noted in several of the above posts that support for obsolete technologies tends to fade away. I have several documents in WP 2.02 format that I can no longer print directly and that I can only open from WP in DOS. I suppose there is a converter somewhere, but will I have any luck finding that converter ten years from now? How about Wordstar or DAC Easy or Peach Tree files? CP/M anyone? How about the millions of archived legal and medical documents from dedicated WANG word processors?

What we consider to be commonplace and major today will likely be a blip in tech history in a few decades.

Steve
01-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got an email from Dwayne's on Friday. They are shipping my last 3 rolls of processed Kodachrome. I got them to them at 7 am on the day when 12 was the cutoff.