Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thoughts on the Canon FS2710 Film Scanner?

Someone I know is selling one for dirt cheap, I see that this unit use to go for quite a bit of money. What size prints can I expect to make with this while still retaining good image quality?

Any help or opinions would be very appreciated. Examples of Images would be even better, I am having a hard time finding any for some odd reason.

I am also looking at the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III, is this one better?

Last edited by Abstract; 01-13-2011 at 04:06 PM.
01-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
cak

Abstract:
I bought an FS2710 about 12 years ago at Fry's Electronics for about $600. It is a very tedious unit to use. Although there is a holder for a strip of six 35mm negatives you have to slide a ring around the ONE image that you are going to scan. (so scanning a strip of six images takes six individual operations.)
It also needs a SCSI adapter to plug into so for me that means keeping an older computer operational in order to use the scanner. (I don't have any extra slots in my current desktop)
It does come with a 35mm slide adapter though I have never used it.
I have been using Vuescan software to operate the scanner (since the accompanying canon software was really weak) and it does produce decent 2700dpi results.

http://c-a-kirk.com/Friends/The-Ball-Family/1998-Yosemite/1998-Yosemite-10-o...Mj9Nj-X3-1.jpg

As far as comparing it to the Minolta Dimage... I can't, because I have never used it. I have seen numerous people on this forum praising the Minolta while I Have not seen anyone with anything to say about the CannoScan 2710. It works for me for now, but it is very tedious to use.

Sincerely,
Chris Kirk
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would agree with Chris. I had one Canon in the distant past. It was hard to use and even harder to get decent results. Resolution is fine, but colour and contrast always were a problem. When the Canon dies I bought a Nikon Coolscan. Resolution wasn't better, but the final images more pleasing.

You can print A4 from a full frame scan with both, the Canon and one of the more basic Nikons. In the meantime I settled with a Epson V700 and Silverfast. The resolution is harldy lower than the Canon, but dynamic range much better. Also, I can scan my medium and large format images with the V700 in very good quality.

Ben
01-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III is praised here? Any examples? I tried searching I found nothing, the FS2710 seems like it would be hard to use....Hmmm...

I will be doing 99 percent black and white if that matters.