Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Verichrome

Some months ago at a garage/junk sale Ifound a spool of exposed Kodak Verichrome BW roll film.This is marked 118/6 and guess what it's 118mm wide. The six I suppose could be an indication of the number of exposures per roll.
Apparently Verichrome was superceeded by Verichrome Pan in 1959 so this film is over 50 years old.
Anyone who could give me some advice here will know the difference between Ortho and Panchromatic film and as Verichrome is Ortho am I right in thinking I could dish develop this using a weak red safelight. I would need to dish develop as I don't have a suitable tank.
Ive done a bit of research as to which developer to use and the need to extend developement times due to the age of the film and if it is possible to develop using a safelight enabling me to monitor the process this would be very helpfull.
Any advice or help would be very useful
Many Thanks
Dino1

01-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Orthochromatic film is not sensitive to red light. Panchromatic film is.
01-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you mix your own chemicals - if so I can look up a contemporary developer - although with Rodinal you have one!
03-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #4

Develop in total darkness not under a red light. You can also add an anti fog agent to the developer. I'd do a little more research before developing this film.
duneshot

03-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I recently developed a found Verichrome #2-Brownie film (120) in D-76, nothing but fog and images of the bellows on it.
10-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I recently developed a found Verichrome #2-Brownie film (120) in D-76, nothing but fog and images of the bellows on it.
Hi Jussi, I've also just been given a roll of Verichrome No.2 Brownie to develop. I plan on using TMax developer as it might produce less fog than D-76 and I might add a little Borax to help reduce fog. Can you remember how long you developed the film for? Thanks.
10-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry, I don't remember - I think it was a bit longer than standard but not by much. I've seen Rodinal stand developing do well... Please show any results you get!

10-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If I recall right,kodak kits in 60's used dektol as a film developer for verichrome pan.
Any developer pretty much screams for test strips,lights out for pan.
10-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Jussi, Bill, I had a go at developing the film today. There is a lot of advice out there on the net, some of it conflicting. I've got D-76, Tmax and Rodinal in my darkroom so I decided to use the Tmax. The Kodak recommendation for the original Verichrome (not Verichrome Pan) was 17 minutes in D-76 stock. D-76 stock times are pretty much the same as Tmax 1+4. I know that very old films need more development but at the same time, too much development will give a lot of fogging. I decided to try something a bit different. I had read that very old films do better when the developer temp is lower so I developed at 15C (60F) but gave it quite a bit longer.

I found out that Verichrome is an Orthochromatic film and not sensitive to red light so I pulled the film out at 17 minutes and 25 minutes under the darkroom red light to inspect it. At 30 minutes, the negatives were still dark and the images were not getting any better so I stopped and fixed.

The Brownie frame size is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 so only 8 frames per roll. I've got images on the first three and a half frames, after that its completely dark. Obviously the first frames on the roll are more protected from heat and radiation than the latter ones and I reckon that the 60-70 years have taken their toll on the outer frames.

My own film scanner can only do 35mm so I reckon I'll return the film to its owner and let him decide what to do next. The three complete frames don't look that interesting although one of them shows lots of people out on a hillside in what to me looks like a game bird shooting party.

I had considered stand developing in Rodinal and indeed it was suggested elsewhere but I've only tried it a few times and I was unsure how much control I would have over the process.

Thanks for the advice.
10-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My results, from film that sat in the Goerz folder for who knows how long... the images are all alike, and look to me like the closed cover + bellows + shutter/lens assembly.

Frame 8

Frame 2