Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

Ghost images of sprocket holes

Hi,

I got this problem on my last roll of film: you can see edges of one frame embedded in the middle of another see attached image. I developed using hewes reels in a steel tank. When I unwound the film it didn't appear to be wound on incorrectly. I may have overfilled the tank with chemicals. The film was expired so I added about a 45 seconds of dev time.

Attached Images

01-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

My guess is that the film was really close together during development. During agitation, the sprocket holes act like little jets, increasing the flow of chemicals. Since the sprocket holes increase the flow, they also increase the amount of fresh chemicals that hit that part of the frame, causing it to develop to a higher density. Did this affect the whole roll or just the last 10 frames or so? That last bit of film likes to curl more, so it may have got closer to the next row over. Also since the holes appear lower down, it looks as if it might have jumped tracks.
01-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Vertex,

This occurred throughout the roll. I think that the problem may have been a light leak while loading the film. I developed two more rolls today which don't appear to have the problem (haven't scanned them yet). The only difference is I made sure to keep the elastic in the arm holes of the changing bag really tight. It was a bit loose when I loaded the rolls that developed these issues.
01-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by davide Quote
Hi Vertex,

This occurred throughout the roll. I think that the problem may have been a light leak while loading the film. I developed two more rolls today which don't appear to have the problem (haven't scanned them yet). The only difference is I made sure to keep the elastic in the arm holes of the changing bag really tight. It was a bit loose when I loaded the rolls that developed these issues.
That could surely do it!