Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Rodinal Stand Developing

Hello, all. I have heard mention of stand developing with Rodinal in the film camera section. I was hoping to try and centralize some of the information about this technique and figured this would be the best spot. I'm thinking we could post time, temp, and dilution, and possibly an example or two to go with each. Thanks.

01-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can do stand and semi-stand development with other than Rodinal. One of the classics, used by Ansel Adams himself (!), is HC-110 diluted 1+119 (from syrup) used semi-stand with times of between 15 and 20 minutes depending on film.

Here is what I have used with Arista.EDU Ultra 100 with good success:
  • HC-110 (1+119)
  • 21 C (70 F)
  • 30 second water pre-soak
  • Constant agitation for first minute
  • Agitate 15 second every 3-4 minutes
  • 15 minutes total
Note that this was with 4x5 sheet film in a small tank using the "taco" method. Other formats/tanks will probably require different times. Also remember that high dilution does not mean less developer. 5-6 ml of HC-110 syrup is required for each roll of 35mm or 120 film (= 4 sheets of 4x5) regardless of dilution. High dilutions require higher developer volume and possibly larger tanks than you normally would use. This principle is the same with Rodinal or any other developer you might want to use. Skimp on the developer with high dilutions and you will get zero density in the shadows regardless of time.

Steve
01-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would recommend the small book by Michael Axel "Iridescent Light" and search in APUG, Photonet, RFF and of course this forum will give you a lot of information on Stand Development likely without the need to over it one more time.

Cheers,

Luc

This is one of my old post about Efke 25

I use stand development:
1. Xtol 200ml
2. Rodinal 10ml
3. Tap water 800ml
4. Borax - a small touch
for one hour.

Edit: I meter the film at ISO50 as stand development tends to push the film.

It just work great for me.

Cheers,

Luc

Couple of links to RFF's threads:

Rodinal 1:100 - Rangefinderforum.com

Rodinal Revisited... - Rangefinderforum.com

Last edited by lbenac; 01-23-2011 at 06:42 PM.
01-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For those who want to use R09 ONE SHOT :

QuoteOriginally posted by Rangefinderforum.com:
Dilution ratios are different for R09
Rodinal is more concentrated, so that
Rodinal.....R09
1+25.......1+20
1+50.......1+40
1+100.....1+80
1+200.....1+150

01-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That's good to know about R09 vs. Rodinal. I'm going to be playing around with some R09 later in the week. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the times would be for R09 and Kentmere films? The massive dev chart doesn't have such a complete listing for Kentmere.
01-26-2011, 03:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FilmDev.org:
Ilford Pan 100 (same as Kentemer?) in R09 1+50 15 minutes, first minute agitation, then 10 seconds every minute agitation.
Kentemer 400 in R09 1+50 20 minutes, 20°C, presoak, developer agitated first minute then one inversion per minute thereafter.
01-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
That's good to know about R09 vs. Rodinal. I'm going to be playing around with some R09 later in the week. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the times would be for R09 and Kentmere films? The massive dev chart doesn't have such a complete listing for Kentmere.
You could do stand development and not have to worry about the development time for the film.

01-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You could do stand development and not have to worry about the development time for the film.
Yeah...What is the other name? Develop to completion? You basically leave it in the soup until the developer is exhausted!

Steve
01-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yeah...What is the other name? Develop to completion? You basically leave it in the soup until the developer is exhausted!

Steve

A little bit of the same concept as two baths development.
02-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #10

Original Poster
Great information! Sorry for not replying sooner, the last 3 weeks have been extreme at work. I tried Rodinal at 1+100 with constant agitation for the first minute, then not touched for the next 59. I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll post them as soon as I get them scanned.
02-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
Great information! Sorry for not replying sooner, the last 3 weeks have been extreme at work. I tried Rodinal at 1+100 with constant agitation for the first minute, then not touched for the next 59. I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll post them as soon as I get them scanned.
I believe most people apply an inversion or two at the half-way point in stand development.

Theoretically, I'd say, stand development should not work at all. But it does. Supposedly, only the developer in that very thin boundary layer next to the film is working and that gets exhausted quickly. Hence we agitate the tank in a non-laminar flow kind of way to mix the developer up and provide a "fresh" boundary layer. We all learned that in our fluid mechanics class, right.

Last edited by tuco; 02-23-2011 at 02:37 PM.
02-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I believe most people apply an inversion or two at the half-way point in stand development.

Theoretically, I'd say, stand development should not work at all. But it does. Supposedly, only the developer in that very thin boundary layer next to the film is working and that gets exhausted quickly. Hence we agitate the tank in a non-laminar flow kind of way to mix the developer up and provide a "fresh" boundary layer. We all learned that in our fluid mechanics class, right.
I still don't get STAND developing... I use Xtol 1:1 with 60s agitation. I get great Shadow Mid-Tones and Highlights.... Very Easy to scan... almost 0 adj 90% of the time.

I shoot Fuji Acros (Legacy Pro) at 64 and use the 100 times.

I am going to try Freestyles clone developer next month.