Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Push proccessing in Rodinal

I've recently switched to Rodinal, and I was wondering how Arista or Foma 400 speed would handle a 2 stop push (to ASA1600), and if anyone has any examples. Right now I'm shooting a lot of Kentmere, because I can make it work for me, but I want to have a backup, because I'm a bit ADD about emulsions, and I like to sample a bit of everything. I shoot a lot at night, and I need something that can handle situations like the examples below reasonably well if exposed at 1600 and pushed in Rodinal. I've heard that Arista is Tri-X, but I'm not certain, and that Fomapan (the 200 speed is a favorite of mine) does not push very well at all. Can anyone enlighten me?

02-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, it's the Arista 'premium' 400 that's supposed to be Tri-X. (Tastes different, but that's what they say. ) The EDU is Foma..., IIRC?

I'm talking to my Nikonian friend, who's been doing a great deal of stand developing in Rodinal and likes Foma: seems to be getting good results with the Arista to 800, at least, says the Foma, not so much. Seeing if he'll put in an appearance.
02-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #3

Heya, the "Nikonian friend" here. (Maybe that should be my nick here instead?)

If you're talking Arista Premium 400, then it's close enough to Tri-X that any differences don't matter in my book. I've only pushed this stock to 800, but it's handled just as gracefully as Tri-X I've treated the same way, so I have no reason to believe it won't go the distance to 1600 the same as the Tri-X I've pushed that far.

Tri-X @ 1600 stand developed in Rodinal 1:100 for 60min

Fompan is an entirely different story.

I've shot Foma 100, 200 and 400 and all have been very likable to me for different reasons, but "pushable" is not a verb I'd associate with these emulsions. All of them in my experience do better when overexposed. Just once, I pushed Fomapan 400 to 800. I was happy enough with what I got, but it's not something I would do all the time. Grain definitely jumped up much faster than Tri-X, and shadow detail plummeted. I'm not confident of how Foma 400 would behave pushed to 1600.

Fomapan 400 @ 800 stand developed in Rodinal 1:100 for 60min