Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What can cause this?

This is a roll I got back from CVS last year. I scanned it to see if it was just the prints I got. I had a roll developed in this same machine by the same girl when they first opened for business. It turned out fine. I can only deduce that they haven't changed the chemicals since they first set up the machine.

I tried Rite Aid, who developed a roll for me, also when they first opened. I've posted this before.

I had them develop two rolls for me a couple weeks ago. They put a huge scratch down one roll and the other roll looked like the first pic. I didn't bother to scan anything of them but I'm pretty sure it's chemicals.

Last edited by Gashog; 11-10-2011 at 10:15 PM.
02-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the scratch/line visible on the negative? Sometimes dust on the scanner will show up as a line across multiple frames on film scans.
02-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's a huge scratch of missing emulsion through about 20 frames. It looks like a piece of plastic was floating around in the chemicals and got pinched between the film and something.
03-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
A few years ago my daughter got remarried and I took 5 rolls of photographs and rushed them to Rite Aid for development and they did the same thing. All scratched up. I watched them handling the film and told them to stop. She wouldn't. Consequently all five rolls were dammaged. I have never been back there. They lost a customer for good that day.

duneshot

03-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The fixer they use in the photolab film development machines has crystals in it. If the fixer is left unused without film regularly running through it crystals can form in it, and that is what is causing this scratching. Sometimes these crystals can get on the rollers as well causing further damage to the emulsion. And some of the crystals can adhere to the emulsion itself which is why there are those white spots - because if you leave film in the fixer for too long it will bleach it and that is what has happened. There is unfortunately, no way to repair film damaged in this manner other than retouching every scan you have from that film.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-06-2011 at 10:10 PM.
03-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the insights.
I haven't finished a roll yet but the plan is to take it to a shop in West Milford. She sells film off bulk reels and seems to know her business.
11-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I forgot about this thread.
I did take a couple rolls to the shop in NJ and she handed me back good prints.
The girl who used to run the processor at CVS in the village now works at Price Chopper. I asked her what happened.
She said that they pulled her off film processing so she quit.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a couple daylight processing tanks and a changing bag. West Milford is kinda far.

Last edited by Gashog; 11-10-2011 at 10:16 PM.
11-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

This is were the Coolscan's ICE is advantageous with the 9000 being even better . . .

Larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/36BED059AD8E686/orig.jpg