Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
enlarger light bulb

so i recently acquired a omega c700 enlarger. it has been working for about 4 days but the light bulb went out. i can order a replacement bulb from b&h but it wont ship for a week or two. i dont have that kind of time. i tried using a 20 watt fluorescent bulb, which is equal to a 75 watt bulb, but it through off my timing. i guess it would brighten up as it stayed on longer and cool down as it was off giving in consistent results. i could manage but it is kinda of annoying. my question is, before i head out to lowes or home depot, do local hardware stores offer a light bulb i could use or do you have any other recommendations.

thanks
jorge

03-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fluorescent bulbs are not a good solution because they are slow to come to full luminance. They also continue to glow after they are turned off. A tungsten incandescent is the better bet. The lamp for your enlarger may be a special "teardrop" shape designed to provide even illumination with the condenser. So the short story is to get the appropriate replacement from Adorama, B&H, or Omega and use a regular 75w bulb in the interim.

Steve

BTW...If it takes the PH140 bulb, Adorama has it in stock and will ship for for free. Buy two as insurance...
03-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The fluorescent bulbs are not a good solution because they are slow to come to full luminance. They also continue to glow after they are turned off. A tungsten incandescent is the better bet. The lamp for your enlarger may be a special "teardrop" shape designed to provide even illumination with the condenser. So the short story is to get the appropriate replacement from Adorama, B&H, or Omega and use a regular 75w bulb in the interim.

Steve

BTW...If it takes the PH140 bulb, Adorama has it in stock and will ship for for free. Buy two as insurance...
wow thanks. im not a fan of adorama cause i really hate their search engine. if you search bulb it doesnt find anything. they call in replacement lamps... but i am pleased with price. for the price of 2 bulbs from b&h i can get 2 with 3 day shipping from adorama.
03-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have an Omega C700. It's a terrific compact enlarger.
Here's the replacement bulb you're looking for: PH140 lamp

It's a good idea to have a spare. A burned out bulb can ruin a printing session.
You could try a standard 75W soft white incandescent bulb until you get the original.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-03-2011 at 06:23 PM.