Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #1

Wrong ISO set on camera

Hey! I just set up this forum to see if I could find out an answer to a quick question.
I'm studying an NQ Photography course at college and think I've messed up big time! But I can't find the answer anywhere and it's been bugging me for days.
I bought 2 fujichrome colour reversal film (100F ??) and I had the ISO set to 400 on my Pentax K1000 35mm camera. After using the 36 frames I thought that I vaguely remembered that I was supposed to have set the ISO to 100 but I couldn't be sure. Dunno if that's what the 100F is about? So 1 film has been set to 400 ISO and the other has been used with an ISO setting of 100 on the camera. Before sending them away to get processed I was wondering what one I've messed up. I've trawled the internet for ages and can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Hope you can help. Thank you.

05-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

Setting the ISO to 400 when shooting ISO 100 film means that you have told the camera that the film is 4x more sensitive than what you were actually shooting. As a result, you can expect that roll to be tragically underexposed. We have all done that at one time or the other, so consider it a rite of passage of sorts.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-02-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Grevious spelling error...
05-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did so with a roll of 120 in the Yashica Mat, then gave it to daughter to take pics with. At least it was print rather than chrome film, but still...... And that isn't the only time I've done this.
05-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

Aw thanks so much Steve. So the 100F on the film is talking about the ISO? I'm in college tomorrow anyway, so I'll face the music then! Just wanted to be put out of my misery early. Thanks so much for your help
Nessa: Aw unlucky. It's an easy mistake to make but so frustrating!
I'm just upset at the amount of money that that silly mistake cost me!

Thanks alot for all your help

05-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeteStump Quote
So the 100F on the film is talking about the ISO?
The ISO is usually printed on the box (small print) and on the film canister. Generally, if there is a number in a film product name, that number is the film speed.

Steve
05-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you know which roll is which, you can actually push process the film. This is basically increasing the development to compensate for the exposure. On a colour slide this MIGHT give some colour shifts, but you'll have usable images.

If you don't know which roll is which you have problems. I would suggest carrying an extra-fine point sharpie in your camera bag to mark the film canisters when things like this happen. It will make your life easier.

Push-processing by two stops is a fairly standard push, your professor or the lab could probably help you through it.
05-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteStump Quote
Hey! I just set up this forum to see if I could find out an answer to a quick question.
I'm studying an NQ Photography course at college and think I've messed up big time! But I can't find the answer anywhere and it's been bugging me for days.
I bought 2 fujichrome colour reversal film (100F ??) and I had the ISO set to 400 on my Pentax K1000 35mm camera. After using the 36 frames I thought that I vaguely remembered that I was supposed to have set the ISO to 100 but I couldn't be sure. Dunno if that's what the 100F is about? So 1 film has been set to 400 ISO and the other has been used with an ISO setting of 100 on the camera. Before sending them away to get processed I was wondering what one I've messed up. I've trawled the internet for ages and can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Hope you can help. Thank you.
I checked the Fuji web site and Velvia 100F or Provia 100F (You indicated a "F" after the 100) slide film can be pushed to up to +2 stops to EI400.

So you should be ok if you take the film to a proper lab and tell them you shot it at 400ISO. You will be charged extra for processing.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 05-05-2011 at 03:03 PM.
05-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you!

Hey guys. Thanks a lot for your replies. I asked my tutor about it and she said that I should phone and ask the lab if they can push process it and yeah, it would cost more for the processing but it wouldn't be as much as doing it all again! So thanks again for all your help.
PGillin: Thanks for that advice! I will definitely be carrying a wee pen with me incase this happens again. I'm almost positive I know which one I messed up but now, because I forgot a simple thing like setting the ISO correctly I'm doubting myself! lol.
But thanks to all of you
It's greatly appreciated.

- Sarah-Jane