Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
It certainly looks grainy, but whether it is real grain or introduced noise is difficult to tell. The first thing to do to help eliminate the latter possibility is to multi-scan at the highest level your scanner allows, which removes most random scanning artifacts. I'm certainly seeing what may be digital chroma noise in that scan - I would expect true film grain to manifest itself as luminance noise.

Ultimately what matters is what appears in the final print (or screen). And a bit of noise, of whatever origin, can actually be helpful in increasing perceptual image sharpness.
Perhaps I need to get out a loupe again and refresh my memory, but the patterns look like what I used to see decades ago when I would try to blow up an ISO 400 negative to 16x20. However, we are looking at the ever-popular 100% crop which shows more than we ever need. On a print of any reasonable size, I don't think these patterns would be objectionable. I know that on an A4 print, that negative shows no grain.

It is an interesting question what we are even seeing with a loupe, because it would seem to take at least 10x to get the fundamental particles (crystals, dye clouds) to get into the realm of visibility.

06-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The issue is that the scanner "perceives" the grain in ways that are different than the eye's native perception.

On one hand, this is a quality issue since we all want scans that are pleasing to the eye. On the other hand, this opens a whole can of worms regarding negative/slide scanning as an acceptable alternative to traditional optical prints. We may be better off making optical enlargements followed by a relatively low resolution reflective scan.

Steve
I think this is the issue with detail in general with digital reproduction. Reproducing fine detail requires that some form of sharpening take place to form, for example, distinct lines from pixels. Sharpening produces artifacts that may represent detail differently from the eye, but it is the brain that ultimately makes this a photo or recognizes a detail, whether as "grain" or something else.

The longer I am involved in digital reproduction, the more I wish I still had my wet darkroom. We haven't even gotten to the guesses that the equipment makes to turn those pixels into prints.

Last edited by GeneV; 06-26-2011 at 03:05 PM.
06-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I wish I still had my wet darkroom
Ive had these thoughts too,till its time to clean up....

Interesting point Steve brought up about the theoretical.Take nyquist,delve into
proportional,integral,and derivitive terms of PID equation that might be used
in design,data is somewhat subjective in nature,to me,in a lighthearted way its
'my way or the hiway' as the implementation of the hardware goes.To that
extent,I do miss the 'old ways',but not the cleaning up part.
06-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Ive had these thoughts too,till its time to clean up....

Interesting point Steve brought up about the theoretical.Take nyquist,delve into
proportional,integral,and derivitive terms of PID equation that might be used
in design,data is somewhat subjective in nature,to me,in a lighthearted way its
'my way or the hiway' as the implementation of the hardware goes.To that
extent,I do miss the 'old ways',but not the cleaning up part.
As one of the articles pointed out, grain is a subjective function of the brain as well as the dots on the film anyway.

I never minded the cleanup that much. It is funny how you can look around and think this house is really bigger than I need, but I can't find the place for a shop, darkroom, etc.