Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
scanning software recommendations?

i just received a canon 9000f and wanted to know what software people are using other than the defualt canon software.

thanks
jorge

07-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe most people here use VueScan: it's not free however, but below is the link.

VueScan 9 Scanning Software for Windows 7, Mac OS X (Snow Leopard) and Linux
07-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use Picasa 3, downloadable free software from Google. It allows basic editing pretty easily and it's also a great photo organizer.
07-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As far as that goes, so does FastStone has a twain driver built in.

07-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe the Industry best software is SILVERFAST:

SilverFast - Scanner Software for Mac & Windows

If you don't mind paying the price, otherwise VueScan - which has a bit of a learning curve, but I like it.
07-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
I believe the Industry best software is SILVERFAST:

SilverFast - Scanner Software for Mac & Windows

If you don't mind paying the price, otherwise VueScan - which has a bit of a learning curve, but I like it.
Or so says Silverfast. The more expensive versions (features are purchased ala carte) are very capable, but the user interface sucks and the pricing is ridiculous. The software that came with my scanners (Nikon and Epson) is much preferred for my purposes.

If a person wants options other than the bundled software, VueScan is my recommendation. The user interface is hokey, but results are good and the price is VERY nice.

Steve
07-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I recommended VueScan because I'd seen here on PF members who use it. I, myself, use the software that came with my Epson Perfection 4490 photo scanner.

07-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scanning software

QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
i just received a canon 9000f and wanted to know what software people are using other than the defualt canon software.

thanks
jorge
My film scanner is an Epson V700 which came with Epson software and a light edition of Silverfast and I downloaded a free trial of Vuescan. If I thought the light edition of Silverfast promising enough I might have bought the full version, but I didn't. Ultimately, I went with Vuescan.
07-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
thanks everyone. i have download vuescan and ill play with over the weekend to see what up. silverfast is way too expensive for me.

thanks again
jorge
07-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There's really nothing wrong with your Canon's software - I've used it - as long as it keeps out of the way. It can be hard to ensure it doesn't apply some sort of correction, especially when it comes to scanning negatives. As ever, it's best to scan everything as positives, and set black and white points on each channel independently. I've compared Vuescan to some OEM drivers - particular my Konica-Minolta driver - and seen no evidence of improvement. YMMV.
07-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
...As ever, it's best to scan everything as positives...
I have tried that approach and have seen no particular advantage or improvement and for me it is not worth the effort. It may be that my scanner/software/image combination does not benefit from from the process, however. I generally am happy with scanning as negative, applying some curve adjustment at scan time, and finishing with minor massaging in Lightroom. As you said YMMV.

Steve
07-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #12
Forum Member

I used Epson software for about a year. Even in professional mode it messed up colours, contrast and sometimes randomly cut frames. Many nice images were ruined. Then I came across Vuescan and since then I have been able to get everyting that's on the negative and turn it perfect in Photoshop. It took me many hours to learn how to use it properly, but it's worth it.
07-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Did you guys with Vuescan go with the regular download or the PRO version?

Thanks.
07-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Did you guys with Vuescan go with the regular download or the PRO version?

Thanks.
I went for the regular version then upgraded to the Pro version a year later.
07-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have tried that approach and have seen no particular advantage
The advantage is that most scanner software applies some kind of correction when scanning negatives, usually to remove the orange mask and perhaps boost contrast. Inevitably these result in clipping on at least one channel - even Silverfast's Negafix does this to an unnacceptable degree. When scanning as positive, the software stays out of the way.