Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Getting started in black and white film

So I've gathered some pretty decent pieces of camera equipment over the last months, but now I'm really confused how to start shooting. I figured it would be nice to switch from color negative film to black and white, mainly to do my own processing and get some high ISO capabilities. Having that said, I read pretty much everything related to film selection on this forum and I saw pictures on Flickr of different types of film.
My problem is that where I live, a roll of Tri-X is $6.5 and processing is $3 at the lab, so it really isn't very economical. I figured there's got to be a cheaper way to shoot film, and that bulk film + developing at home should do the trick. I have never developed film before, I don't know how to load bulk film into a cassette, and I don't even know where to buy film and chemicals from. So your advice is welcome here.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see this topic, but now that I posted it, please take some time and answer my questions too. Thanks.

07-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #2

Developing is quite easy once you get used to it. As for bulk loading I havent tried it yet, but there a very cheap films like Legacy Pro, Ultrafine, and nice ones like fomapan and arista(some as low as $1.99). You can get them in places online like freestyle photo, BHpohot and adorama (among others). They also have chemicals and other accessories. The hardest part for me was loading the film in the dark. :P
07-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I wonder if freestylephoto would ship to Europe and how much would that be. I hope it doesn't defeat the whole purpose of buying film cheaper.
07-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #4

Oh, I did not read about being in europe. Well you can go to their site and try. but I think buying from a shop based on europe will be much cheaper, just not sure about it.

07-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I wonder if freestylephoto would ship to Europe and how much would that be. I hope it doesn't defeat the whole purpose of buying film cheaper.
Even though I live in the U.S., I have dealt with Maco Direct in Germany (Macodirect.de). They have a good selection of B&W films at fairly reasonable prices.

Steve
07-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

bulk loading isn't difficult. I started doing it as a 12yo so it can't be that hard Don't know what the numbers work out to these days but it was about 1/3 the price of factory rolls. In fact you could buy the bulk roll dispenser, some cassettes and a bulk roll for the same price as the quivalent rolls of film, so it only took one roll to 'break even' then it was cheap film
11-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is my 2c.

Film isn't free. It's one of the things I like about shooting it. There is something at stake for every shot (like .30-.40 cents!)

If you're going to process your own film, why not load you own cans?

Are there any photography clubs or classes where you are? Signing up for a class would be the quickest way to get into film.

11-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Ilford has a nice Step-by-Step Guide for developing your first roll of BW film. This Kodak version is not as illustrated but it's also a source of information.

You can also save money on one-shot developers that have years for a shelf life (eg HC-110, Rodinal, PMK Pyro). The savings comes from not tossing out age-exhausted chemicals because you may have not shot film for a while.

Last edited by tuco; 11-08-2011 at 08:15 PM.
11-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kentmere is a good film made by Ilford. Here in the states it is very reasonable and should be reasonable in Europe. I can second the comment on bulk loading, it isn't difficult especially with a daylight loader. Once the 100 feet roll of film is placed (in the dark, of course) in the loader actually loading the cassettes can be done in daylight. There is a lot of good film coming out of the former Soviet bloc countries; I'd think you might be able to buy it cheaper than we can here in the US.