Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Betterscanning MF holder and scan software

Hello
I want to know if there is a scan software which can handle automatically all four shots from Betterscanning's Variable Height MF Film Holder for Epson V500.

I am using actually then Epson scan software which is great but since I have the holder, I must select evey single shot by zooming in and out. And if the film is not 100% vertical, I have to restart from the beginning. With the Epson holder I can do that automatically but only on three shots, then I must return the film for the last shot... In manual mode I cannot rotate or mirror the shot either.

Is it possible to do that with another software ?

07-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would be happy if I could find software that will accurately detect the frames using Epson's (!) 120 holder. Something tells me that such may not exist. I suspect that most reference the window edge and estimate the frame locations based on a standard size (6x6?) If you are shooting 645, 6x7, 6x9, or 6x12, good luck.

Edit:
Forgot that 120 frame size is a settable configuration in Epson Scan. Just tried it with some 645 negatives (was set for 6x7) and it works like a champ.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-15-2011 at 07:31 AM.
07-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The three first shots are ok but the last is cut in two...
I think there are holes in the holder telling the software where the film is...
07-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Hello
I want to know if there is a scan software which can handle automatically all four shots from Betterscanning's Variable Height MF Film Holder for Epson V500.

I am using actually then Epson scan software which is great but since I have the holder, I must select evey single shot by zooming in and out. And if the film is not 100% vertical, I have to restart from the beginning. With the Epson holder I can do that automatically but only on three shots, then I must return the film for the last shot... In manual mode I cannot rotate or mirror the shot either.

Is it possible to do that with another software ?
The answer is no.

The Epson film holder is designed to inform the scanner exactly where to look for its thumbnails. Third party holders cannot do this. You must select every scanned area manually as a result.

07-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer !
I think the indicators are some/all holes in the Epson holder. I thought it could be possible to make this holes in the BS holder...