Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I scan on a 9000ED and I do see how it compares to my 36MP digital camera.
Then you may know how my Techpan resolution results compare to the D800 . . .

09-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Then you may know how my Techpan resolution results compare to the D800 . . .
I've shot TechPan in 120 roll. But the thing is everyday shooting is not like test conditions for me anyway.
09-21-2013, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StefanMikes Quote
Thank you very much Les.
What I found out myself so far is that a budget flatbed scanner with film scanning capability is not the answer. And I cannot afford a high quality film scanner.
It looks film scans from a good lab will have to do regarding color film and I decidedly want to re-create my wet darkroom for B&W films ;-)
You're very welcome.
No doubt that scans from good labs may give you results you can use.
09-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
There's something you guys could help me resolving.
I thought more Mpx simply translated into a larger picture produced with the same output resolution. So 300 dpi print will be larger when you use more MPx. For screen, you won't be able to display more than the screen's resolution (a HD screen needs some 2 Mpx), Now, we are talking on 16, 24, 36 Mpx sensors. Isn't it so that some laws of physics result in worse crop quality if many more pixels are crammed into the same APS-C sensor? There must be some reasons for using full-frame DSLR, right?

09-21-2013, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StefanMikes Quote
There's something you guys could help me resolving.
I thought more Mpx simply translated into a larger picture produced with the same output resolution. So 300 dpi print will be larger when you use more MPx. For screen, you won't be able to display more than the screen's resolution (a HD screen needs some 2 Mpx), Now, we are talking on 16, 24, 36 Mpx sensors. Isn't it so that some laws of physics result in worse crop quality if many more pixels are crammed into the same APS-C sensor? There must be some reasons for using full-frame DSLR, right?
Don't over-think this.

More pixels is more pixels. Capture pixels ==> the same pixel dimensions on output.

Quality of pixels is another matter.

If this were the dSLR section of the site we could convert this thread to infinite length by throwing out suggestions of higher quality capture from a larger sensor. Instead, this is the film processing section so we can talk about the quality of scanner optical path and the real-world scan resolution and how they along with technical expertise determine the quality of the scanned image.

Steve