Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help with slide mounts

I just developed my first batch of color film! Two rolls of velvia 50, and they do look awesome. If anyone's thinking about doing it and enjoy the DIY feeling, go for it. It was not hard at all, just took about an hour to get everything set up and developed. I used the arista 1 gallon kit, so i've got around 40 developements left. At 100 bucks for the kit locally bought, thats 2.5 a roll, much better than the mail in 9 bucks or the 12 buck local developement for E6.

Anyways, I have a beginner question about slide mounts. Do the glassless slide mounts, specifically Gepe, have any sort of plastic protection for the film, or is it basically just a frame around the film to make it easier to hold? Thanks.

08-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have not used these particular mounts, but the glassless mounts I have used have been plastic and clip together. In theory the plastic is thick enough to prevent the the film from rubbing. The film tends to get scratched when going in and out of projectors and when the slides are shuffled. They also over time the film attracts dirt. I have never had a successful method of cleaning long term muck from my slides.

Once mounted you will need to store them so they can't be shuffled about, that is when the corner of one slide can scratch the film of another slide. I prefer putting my slides into plastic filing sleeves, but these are a problem in humid environment.

Congratulations on your film adventure. Sounds like you will have a lot of fun.
08-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
basically just a frame around the film to make it easier to hold?
Thats it Iron,believe theres some sort of industry standard regarding size for
magazines & projectors.(trays...rectangular,circular and so on)

Usually get arista 1 pint E6 kit here.Can mix app. one-third of kit (220ML neighborhood)
and get 3-36 exposure rolls of 135 stock.That second run of 1,go by arista's
data and it works out fairly well.Never do it with working stock more than
48 hours old.Instead of one shot. Might say, first shot then a longer second
on same chemicals.For me,works out to about $3 for a 36 frame roll of 135
Gallon kit would drop it lower,dont think I shoot enough,storage would compromise
viability of chemicals in the long run,here.

Hardest thing about E6 is maintaining temperature,sounds like you got that problem licked.
Dont know whats more fun,seeing chromes come off the reel for first time,
or seeing a print "come alive" in a tray.Know it makes one feel real good,congrats.

Last edited by BillM; 08-26-2011 at 03:19 AM.
08-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gepe also sells glass slide mounts. Stored and handled with moderate care the glassless type are better for projection or scanning.

Chris

08-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome guys, thanks for the help