Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
800Z problems - only me?

Has anyone else struggled with this film rated at 800? My first roll I shot through my Super A and it was terrible, nasty grain and shadows completely blocked up, even in broad daylight! 2nd Roll in the ME shot at 400 and generally overexposed by as much as 4 stops above that at times, much better although anything shot slightly under (IE that should have equalled 800 exposure) was again terrible.

With these reservations I shot a wedding with the stuff in my ME, LX and OM2, all rated at 400 and most of the time metered for an extra +1EV. Outdoors was fine in all cameras, but when the LX came indoors and still set at effective ISO 200 metering, everything was massively underexposed! The OM2 came indoors but got a flashgun to help out and was passable up until the very end - when it gave up and stopped exposing properly too. With the same flash etup on digital, I was shooting ISO200 f3.5 and was exposing correctly, but the 800 speed film at f2.8 there's almost nothing, skintones are grainy and very dark red, there are no highlights and the shadows are pure black with scanner noise.

I love the film for daylight use but it sort of defeats the purpose of having an 800 film if it's only any good at 200. Even XP2 is better at 800!

I really wanted to stock up on this film before It becomes hard to find, it's got beautiful skin tones and mixed light tolerance, but it's just so unreliable!

10-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just to be sure I post right comparisons, do you mean Fuji NPZ800?
Have you compared it to other 800 speed film or perhaps 400 and 1600 too?
Do you have 100% crops to show?
10-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I've had mixed results with 800Z, but they have mostly been good. I always shoot it at 800, and most of the time the film is properly exposed out of my LXs. Sometimes it does get very grainy to the point of almost being unusable though. Don't ask me why. Could be age/handling of the film or something. Like I said though most of the time it comes out great for me at 800. Example:

02-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

are you processing it, or letting a lab do it?

I had great results from one lab, Fuji Burnley, and another (local Boots) has clearly been processing it wrong. Although they use a Fuji Frontier, so I dont see how its possible, as Id have thought the machine read the cannister and did the Fuji thing. But I have a feeling that they are only good with iso 100 and 400 films.