Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Lab development, home enlarging?

Is it ok or stupid to give B/W to a lab just for developping and doing the enlarging process under full control at home?

The reason is that I want to keep the chemistry out of the house as long as the kids are young... I realise that B/W is not the thing for mass lab development, but still...

What's your take on this?

12-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Enlarging needs also chemistry... You mean perhaps scanning and printing.
Developping B&W is so easy and stand developpment is harmfulless (It is diluted 1:100).

Last edited by fs999; 12-18-2011 at 02:32 PM.
12-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FS999, I do hope you meant "harmless"!

I have had kids and the chemistry in the house with no issues. Just treat them like cleaning fluids (windex??) and you will be fine. Another good technique is to tell the kids that there are spiders in the cabinet you keep the chemistry and that usually keeps them FAR away! Keep concentrates up high or way out of the way. Doing film is easy and as they grow up it can be a fun activity to do with them (prints too), one that not many kids will have a chance to do!
12-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #4

I have a dedicated "closet" for my darkroom. No problem with the kids. I agree...doing film or enlarging is both easy and fun. I went from knowing nothing to doing my own just by reading on the internet. I wasn't really interested in photography, but the science part got me into it. You'll have a blast.

12-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all the input! Sounds like I should give it a try, really!

Lab results in B/W are the worst of all in my experience...
12-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Developing b&w film (in rolls, particularly) is very mechanical and, if you have a lab using the same chemistry as you would, they may have more repeatable results than you can at home, by virtue of more sophisticated time/temperature control, and less chemical variation.

You don't specify, but if you're using chromogenic b&w film (C41), you might seriously consider just sending it to a lab.

Printing is a completely different story.

Paul

Last edited by tibbitts; 12-19-2011 at 03:48 PM.
12-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I used to develop film at home. But I have found a very good lab here (netherlands) who do an excellent job on B&W film. SO I guess it also depends on the lab

12-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Use both methods

I actually do it both ways. I use a lab that does a really good job, but the cost can be a bit much when I have lots of black & white to run. When there is only a roll or two I may send it out for developing. But if I'm shooting lots of black & white then I usually set up and do the developing here at home. Finally, if I am playing with a different type of film or a different developing method I will develop it at home.

I usually keep the chemicals locked away in a cabinet because my grandkids come by frequently. That being said though, they are frequently here when I am developing and they love to watch things turn out. I think it helps give them a broader perspective and shows them an alternative to the all-digital world they are growing up in.
12-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #9

Also, these days, you can get a darkroom setup for almost nothing. I went from having zero equipment to a complete darkroom setup for around $100. I actually wound up with two enlargers, so I set one up for 35mm and the other for 6x6... Just do some good searching.