Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #1

Lets Talk Film!

hey guys im new to pentax forums!
im new to photography in general and even newer at film photography. i would love to see some film pics and also descuss developing. its already gotten expensive for me im looking to maybe try developing my own film any ideas? any cheaper way to develope?

01-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums! You might check this thread for some film shots: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53503-cool-let...ilm-shots.html

I'm also interested in getting started in B&W processing eventually. Have a look around this thread and the Pentax Film SLR discussion for more info on processing. Have fun!
01-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
i found one thread that said you could do 35 rolls for 100 bucks is that even true?!
01-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #4

I've recently started developing with "caffenol", not because it's cheaper (as a matter of fact I doubt it is, in the long run) but because the trial & error process makes for fun times.

These are pictures from my second time ever developing with coffee (although they weren't taken with a Pentax, hope you don't mind... in that one there's a roll that shouldn't risk going to waste ).

Picture 2
Picture 3

Welcome, and have fun, whichever way you decide to shoot and develop your films!

01-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The Film Processing, scanning and drarkroom thread is a good place to ask questions and talk about the subject.

You can develop BW film at home pretty easily and without a lot of equipment. If you can score some of the tanks, bottles, etc used, you can get by on the cheap making venturing into film as inexpensive as getting an older cameras.

Last edited by tuco; 01-19-2012 at 12:13 PM.
01-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
Very nice pictures! and Coffe?? i cant beleive that, im going to have to try that sometime in the near future!
01-20-2012, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlyn.warnock Quote
Very nice pictures! and Coffe?? i cant beleive that, im going to have to try that sometime in the near future!
Most use instant coffee for the mix. But if you use Starbuckinol, you'll start with a deeper, richer developer.

01-22-2012, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
I'm fairly new to the fourms and also just started shooting, developing and scanning film myself. I'm plan on doing a year only shooting B&W TRI-X 400 with one lens on my K1000. I've read it's a pretty good way to learn more about photography. I'm sort of documenting it here

01-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #9

What an awesome idea. I'm following your tumblr now, really look forward to seeing your pics.

I just got my first film camera and now I'm thinking I should try this...
01-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
What an awesome idea. I'm following your tumblr now, really look forward to seeing your pics.

I'll be watching as well - I've been thinking of trying b&w processing for awhile now. I have a slide/negative scanner (a cheapie) I want to put to some use. Looking forward to watching your project.
01-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #11

QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by adelorenzo

I'll be watching as well - I've been thinking of trying b&w processing for awhile now. I have a slide/negative scanner (a cheapie) I want to put to some use. Looking forward to watching your project.
Yeah, You guys should give it a try. It's been lots of fun so far and being able to do everything yourself just feels satisfying.
01-25-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bam431 Quote
and also just started shooting, developing and scanning film myself. I'm plan on doing a year only shooting B&W TRI-X 400 with one lens on my K1000. I've read it's a pretty good way to learn more about photography. I'm sort of documenting it
Nice blog.

There's a few 'old fashioned' ways of telling if your negs are ok (like being able to read a newspaper though them), I'm sure if you google you'll find something however I'd suggest for scanning you actually want a slightly flatter (less contrast) neg than for optical printing. Much easier to work your scanned file into high contrast than to try to scan a high contrast neg, especially if using a flatbed. On my screen your pics look like they've lost the highlights (which maybe your intention). To lower your neg contrast, try reducing your development times by 10-20%.
01-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #13

QuoteQuote:
Nice blog.

There's a few 'old fashioned' ways of telling if your negs are ok (like being able to read a newspaper though them), I'm sure if you google you'll find something however I'd suggest for scanning you actually want a slightly flatter (less contrast) neg than for optical printing. Much easier to work your scanned file into high contrast than to try to scan a high contrast neg, especially if using a flatbed. On my screen your pics look like they've lost the highlights (which maybe your intention). To lower your neg contrast, try reducing your development times by 10-20%.
Thanks for the tips, and I'll have to try that out next time. It wasn't really my intention, I just sort of took a guess and hoped for the best. I'll try cutting my development time off a bit with my next roll.