Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
RMF processing of out of production films like 127 and Kodachrome

I'm wondering if anyone has used Rocky Mountain Film for processing? If so, were you happy with the results?

They indicate that they will process any out of production / discontinued film, including Kodachrome. I'm finding some 127 film for sale on the internet and I found a couple of rolls of Kodachrome in the freezer that I should use up.

It's not cheap, but for those of us that don't have a darkroom, the thought of running the occasional roll of 127 film through an antique camera might be appealing. It also seems a shame to throw out the Kodachrome....might as well put it to some use.

01-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There are stories all over the internet of people sending them their film and never hearing back, or receiving no communication and finally getting their film back in 6 months or longer.

They don't answer their phones or respond to email. I'd avoid them if possible.
01-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks brofkand! I stopped by the local lab here in Victoria this morning and they stated that they know that kodachrome and 127 can be developed by someone in New York, but they have misplaced the name of the company that does it.

If anyone knows who in NY that might be...please let us know.
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe Kodachrome can only be processed now as B&W. For good or bad, Rocky Mountain is the only game in town for some of these discontinued emulsions.

01-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Wheat. I'll try shooting a role and sending it into them to see what happens.
01-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Home processing of 127 is not difficult if you want to explore that option. Most plastic reels adapt to that size. The main issue is getting prints/scans (same thing these days).
02-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Thanks Wheat. I'll try shooting a role and sending it into them to see what happens.
Steve have you tried contacting Dwayne's?

Disc and 126 film developing processing and printing - Dwayne's Photo Service - Parsons, Kansas

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 02-02-2012 at 12:12 PM.
02-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Home processing of 127 is not difficult if you want to explore that option. Most plastic reels adapt to that size. The main issue is getting prints/scans (same thing these days).
I've never done my own processing but I've been thinking about it....might be a good excuse to get into it. The problem I have is space in the house....how "smelly" are the chemicals now?

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Thanks Phil. I've so far been able to fine 4 or 5 labs in the States but I really would like to stay local if possible.

For film, from what I have been able to figure out, 127 is made in Calgary and shipped to the US for distribution. I might have a lead on getting some shipped direct from there.
02-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I've never done my own processing but I've been thinking about it....might be a good excuse to get into it. The problem I have is space in the house....how "smelly" are the chemicals now?
Most silver/color devs smell a bit, but fixer (and bleach for color processing) will probably always have a strong smell. Ventilation is extremely important in any darkroom. I do B&W, C41, E6 and Super 8 reversal processing in my home darkroom. C41 is still cheaper to have processed at a lab. E6 (color slide) film processing with Freestyle's Arista kit is cheaper than my local lab when doing more than four rolls at a time.

Some of my friends recommend thedarkroom.com for 127.

FYI, the last Kodachrome (RIP) film was processed to color by Dwaynes on 12/31/11. It can be dev'd to black & white, but the rem jet (carbon black) backing is a pain to remove, it's yellow filter layer makes it tricky to optically print and the process is still somewhat experimental. Getting good exposure and contrast is tricky.

Good luck if you decide to get into home processing, I love it.
02-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how "smelly" are the chemicals now?
The developers are essentially odorless. Fixer smells more or less like powdered sulpher and is not too strong. Acetic acid stop bath can have a fairly strong vinegar odor, but may be used at 50% the standard dilution with resulting less smell.

Steve
02-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #11

how "smelly" are the chemicals now?
Fixer is the greatest smell in the world.