Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So, you guys are saying that it's much better that a lab do the color processing? than do it yourself?

04-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I'm in the let the lab do it crowd for 135 . Given I can get develop scan for $2.99 locally it makes no sense to take up colour for 35mm. 120 is a whole other kettle of fish. If I shot enough 120 colour I would just do all my own developing e6 included. as mentioned colour can get a little messy and temp control is crucial but otherwise it is not much different than doing b/w technically - in some ways easier because it's a pretty strict formula and it doesn't matter what film it is. B/W you have to decide on chemical, chemical dilution, stand or agitate, if agitate then how often....... different times for everything and then what is the time at the temp you are developing. C41 all that is eliminated. E-6I is harder with extra steps but it is also doable in a home environment. like C41 Temperature control is important E-6 has more steps though 6 step being the common way. (see the Wiki)
04-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I only shoot C41 so far. But Are you not worried that the lab might do a horrible job at it? or do they have a fool proof method at doing it (I get mine done at target for $3)
04-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
D0n
Banned

given the increasing scarcity of labs and film... I'd say learn to do it yourself.... if you plan on doing a few years from now...
used equipment is cheap.
I used to use an aquarium heater (submersible with temp controller) in a water bath to develope and print and had excellent results with agfa kits.

04-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
I only shoot C41 so far. But Are you not worried that the lab might do a horrible job at it? or do they have a fool proof method at doing it (I get mine done at target for $3)
not all labs are equal so find a good one and stick with it. it is pretty foolproof at a lab provided they maintain their gear and chemicals. it's pretty much all done by the machine including the 4 base scan. If you can find a busy minilab they likely are still doing everything the right way. For me locally right downtown their is a drugstore that is very busy still with the lab and they do good work.others in the same chain may not be so good.
04-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Problem with a lab is your negs can get scratched. But you can also scratch them at home. I did darkroom room for over a decade, all aspects from graphic process, halftones, litho, E-4, type C, nitrogen burst, type R, Cibachromes and some dye transfers...it is all a pain in the ass compared to dig.

I have to wonder why you guys are still beating a dead horse with all the wet darkroom work?

Digital is a dream. Cheap high quality 5 color ink jet printers can rival / surpass the finest dye transfer prints. And when it comes to printing color in the wet darkroom, I was lucky to get a few prints a night. High grade ink jets pop out a months worth of darkroom prints in an hour or two.

But, there is one thing in favor of the film...it is the look. If you want the film look, then you must shoot film or try some PP trickery with your dig
04-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote

But, there is one thing in favor of the film...it is the look. If you want the film look, then you must shoot film or try some PP trickery with your dig
that is why I shoot film, and why almost all my film is B/W the rest is Slide (and the way they keep killing off my favourite slides it will become more and more b/w)

There is also the benefit of the big neg like the various 120 formats and 4x5 but. well scanned all of these are tough to beat.

It's also nice to revisit film in any case having shot it for almost 40 years now. And I actually would rather wet print than spend hours at a computer more because I always liked the time in the darkroom. I spend my whole day at a computer Monday to Friday, i don't want all my downtime at one as well. The change of scene is nice

04-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Well I'm not planning on doing some wet printing, I just like shooting with film, everything about it I like. From putting the film in, the shutter sound, the winding, the cocking, knowing that I only have 4 exposures left, and that I need it to count, the wait, to me it's very gratifying than putting an SD card in doing a spray and pray checking your LCD every shot, I don't know, all I know is I love film, and I'm doing it because I love photography.
04-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #24
Veteran Member

you can of course shoot digital just like film. find a bunch of old 512mb SD cards, only take a couple with you. turn off the LCD preview and shoot with MF lenses.
Only time I ever "spray and Pray" is in a spot where there is action i want to catch. I would have done the same thing on film, just at a high cost.
I love film, but 90% of what I do is now digital. (says the guy who has way more film cameras than digital)
04-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Personally I'm in the let the lab do it crowd for 135
+1 here and extending that up to 4x5. There is no cost savings in doing your own C41 and the control factor present in B&W processing is not there to the same extent. I pay $2.75 USD per roll for C41 at the local pro lab and I doubt that I can do a better job at home for less.

Steve