Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How much more difficult is colour neg processing from b&w?

I'm spending a fortune at the moment getting negs processed and scanned in store...
Although I've been really pleased with the results I would like to try and do my own neg processing...
My Girlfriends Dad has a quality scanner, and after looking at several youtube tutorials I reckon I can develop B&W negs with little problem...

Only issue is... I seem to be one of the few people who prefer colour film/images... I'd like to have a set-up where I can do both....

Is colour processing 'much' more difficult? what else does it entail than: Develop, Stop & Fix?
Are the chemicals the same or drastically different? What exactly will I be needing?

So far my list is:
Developing tank (includes spooly bits)
Changing bag (with sleeve's)
bottle opener
scissors
Developer (no idea on type)
Stop solution (no idea on type)
Fixer (no idea on type)

Any pointers would be most helpful...

Cheers
Dave

01-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The most difficult aspect of developing C-41 is temperature control.

In B&W you have a wide range of temps that are acceptable and you offset with time. In C-41 if you are a degree off you end up with color shift.

From a procedural standpoint C-41 is no more difficult. It can be a bit more messy though as the Blix tends to foam/expand and wants to spill out of the reel tank during agitation.

You can get C-41 kits for around $20 shipped that will handle about a dozen rolls of 24x135.
Unicolor Powder C-41 Film Negative Processing Kit - 1 Liter | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
Tetenal C-41 Press Kit for Color Negative Film (Powder) T109306
01-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I really think you are better to get C-41 processing done commercially.
01-31-2012, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Color processing at home is not worth the hassle.

02-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Color processing at home is not worth the hassle.
What he said...assuming you have access to a local lab. I dropped off a roll at one of the local pro labs this afternoon (yes...we have a choice of several here in filmtopia...) and will only be charged $2.75 USD for process only, no cut, no print, no scan. The negs come back encased in a single long acetate sleeve.

If you have to send the film out for mail-order processing, the cost for postage and inconvenience might make home processing worth the trouble, however.

Steve
02-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #6

I've only developed black and white, but I'd agree with the above, probably best to have them done commercially. My Rite Aid charges $2.29 for development only. I've read through some apug.org forums on processing with C41 kits, I recommend you look through there if you still are interested in trying. From what I gathered, most approximate their cost of developing at home at about $2 per roll. But that's only when they put alot of effort in to keeping the chemicals functionable and maximizing the use of chemicals before they expire. In my opinion, not a big price difference for convenience. I'd rather just stick with black and white chemicals in my darkroom.
02-02-2012, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said...assuming you have access to a local lab. I dropped off a roll at one of the local pro labs this afternoon (yes...we have a choice of several here in filmtopia...) and will only be charged $2.75 USD for process only, no cut, no print, no scan. The negs come back encased in a single long acetate sleeve.

If you have to send the film out for mail-order processing, the cost for postage and inconvenience might make home processing worth the trouble, however.

Steve
Yeah you can’t complain about $2.75 for processing a roll of film. That’s cheaper than a special coffee in most places!

Phil.

02-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I develop my own color. It takes a bit more fussing with the temperature is basically all that's different than BW and it can be messier as noted by Venturi. The advantage of doing it yourself is that you can go out shooting that day and that night be scanning your results.

Get a C-41 color kit such as Jobo C-41 Press kit or Unicolor C-41 kit, a good, accurate color thermometer (don't be cheap here. The thin glass ones react fast) and small beverage cooler. I initially heat the developer and blix in the microwave to get it near 100°F and then place the bottles in the beverage cooler that is filled with hot water until it reaches final temp. I then add cold water to the cooler to get it down to 102°F. I place the development tank in the hot water between agitation cycles and it holds the temperature long enough to get through that 3.5 minute time period.

The blix is a little more temperature tolerant and should be fine by time you reach that stage. The stabilizer is room temperature. So it is not hard to do. You can expect about 10-15 rolls per 1 liter kit but need to use it up within about 3 months though.

Last edited by tuco; 02-02-2012 at 11:49 AM.
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I develop my own color. It takes a bit more fussing with the temperature is basically all that's different than BW and it can be messier as noted by Venturi. The advantage of doing it yourself is that you can go out shooting that day and that night be scanning your results.
I can do the same by dropping the film off at my local grocery store, for about $4 per roll,

it just is not worth the fuss. B&W is different because not many places do it and B&W is very easy to push process, which is one reason to do it yourself,
02-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can do the same by dropping the film off at my local grocery store, for about $4 per roll,

it just is not worth the fuss. B&W is different because not many places do it and B&W is very easy to push process, which is one reason to do it yourself,
Yeah, shoot 120 roll or sheet film and see how easy it is to run down to the local grocery store.
02-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, shoot 120 roll or sheet film and see how easy it is to run down to the local grocery store.
Ouch
02-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

About a year ago I took a roll of Portra 160 in to Walgreen's to see if there was a snowball's chance. When I showed the tech behind the counter the roll she just kind of tilted her head to the side slightly, and then her face went limp.

Only one of the camera shops in town does their own processing and their turnaround time is a week. We have a fantastic color lab in town too, and I use them for prints but they charge about $9 per roll to process 120.

So, unless I'm in the mood to fuss with the temps and mess, I generally I send mine out to Dwayne's and get a contact sheet.
02-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sheet film = double ouch!!!

I have been tempted to run some Ektar 100 4x5 through the Chamonix, but am put off by the high cost of the film ($2.70 per exposure) coupled with the high cost to process ($2.15 per sheet). Home C41 processing might be the better solution for 4x5.

Tuco...I am able to process 4 sheets of B&W 4x5 in the same volume of developer that I use for 36 exposure 35mm. Can you get the same mileage from C41?

Steve
02-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sheet film = double ouch!!!

Tuco...I am able to process 4 sheets of B&W 4x5 in the same volume of developer that I use for 36 exposure 35mm. Can you get the same mileage from C41?

Steve
I don't see why not. It's all square inches. Four sheets of 4x5 = one 120 roll = one 135-36 roll = 80 in²

I haven't developed color 4x5 sheet for over a year now. And during that period I wasn't shooting enough color film to exhaust the chemicals by volume but rather age. I'd mix a new batch of chemicals after 3 months regardless. I am just too chicken to take any risks unless I really don't care too much about what's on the roll.

It seems once you mix the color chemicals you need to start shooting it frequently. My trouble is I shoot about 10 rolls of BW per roll of color. And less with sheet film.
02-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

That video makes it look so easy. With no experience at all though, I'm inclined to believe those who've said it's not worth the hassle.
However, the possibility of having to do my own someday hangs like a dark cloud at the edge of my mind.... I already live in the middle of nowhere & have to save up films in the fridge for trips to the big smoke (5 1/2 hrs round trip). There are only 2 places left that do a passable job, a Walmart & a drugstore. The "premium" camera store may continue but their digitally-scanned prints are terrible & their price is horrific.
But... in the video the guy is just pouring some of the rinses down the sink, & that's another potential problem. We have a septic bed & a well. Is it customary to pour the stuff down the sink when you have municipal water? I mean, I could save it in jars & take it to the dump, but they'll just chuck it in with the rest of the garbage.
I'm so jealous of you guys with "Filmtopia" grocery stores.

Last edited by Alliecat; 02-10-2012 at 12:08 AM.