Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Color Banding on Primefilm 7250u

After close inspection of some of my scans, I've noticed problems with horizontal color streaks across my scans. I'm using a Pacific Image Primefilm 7250u scanner. I've emailed them about it, but I haven't heard anything back yet. Here's some examples. They aren't that noticeable, but, if this problem showed up on a DSLR, people would definitely be raging. I have to scan each image about 10 times before I get a scan without these bands. The band itself shows up at different areas across the whole frame, but is usually positioned just above the middle of the frame. Also, strangely, it seems to follow parts of the image (see the image of the pier with the red band). Any ideas how to fix this? Or is this deep in the hardware, warranting a return. Also, if it makes any difference, I'm using Vuescan, and everything including the primefilm driver is up to date.

scan 1 shows the bands, scan 2 is a successful scan, scan 3 is the pier with bands following the lines in the actual picture.

Attached Images

02-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The main reason these color bands piss me off is because they mess with Photoshop's ability to auto align layers. This scanner puts out a lot of noise in the dark areas, so I found myself needing to stack at least 3 scans. When the color banding is bright enough, like picture 1, Photoshop can't align them.
02-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the exact same scanner. I gave up on the scanners CyberView X s/w and purchased Silverfast AFL-SE. It has a built-in Kodachrome profile that actually works pretty well. I have a lot of old Kodachrome slides and still shoot Ektracrome G, so this profile is a huge plus.

My recommendation is to switch the s/w you are using.

Phil.
02-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm using Vuescan, a 3rd party software that is highly praised. Supposedly almost as good as silverfast but for a quarter the price. I don't think I'd be able to dish out 300$ hoping that it's a software issue. Maybe I'll try use cyberview and see if that helps

02-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
I'm using Vuescan, a 3rd party software that is highly praised. Supposedly almost as good as silverfast but for a quarter the price. I don't think I'd be able to dish out 300$ hoping that it's a software issue. Maybe I'll try use cyberview and see if that helps
The version of Silver fast I got was around $100.00. It was the cheapest with the Kodachrome profile. Good idea on trying the other s/w, as that may be the issue.

Phil.
02-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Could be a hardware issue? Like a vibration of the scanner desk.
Try scanning at different resolutions. It looks like hardware to me, but its amazing what can software solve these days.
You can try the silverfast demo
SilverFast - Demo :: LaserSoft Imaging

Octav

Edit: Plustek had a similar issue for a batch of machines, corrected later by a patch. I didn't experience any issues, but the description was similar "red colour banding"
02-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Try scanning with Cyberview. If the problem persists it's a hardware issue, if it goes away it's a software issue.

02-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I'll try to silverfast demo version and let you know what happens.
02-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried various scanning programs with no fix. Primefilm support told me to update drivers; again no benefit. They took more of my sample scans and now I'm waiting for their diagnosis.