Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Problem scanning 120 negs...scanner cuts images up.

Using an Epson V500 scanner I just bought. Works great on the 35mm. I use the larger neg mask on 120 and it cuts the images about 40% off and puts the cutoff in the next image frame. I have it set for 6 x 6 film. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

02-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Epson Scan does a great job of "finding" the frames for 35mm negatives and a terrible job of doing the same for 120 film. I would suggest using the view that allows manual selection of the scan area. Define the marquee areas for each frame in sequence and the scanner will scan them in the same sequence.

Steve
02-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Epson Scan does a great job of "finding" the frames for 35mm negatives and a terrible job of doing the same for 120 film. I would suggest using the view that allows manual selection of the scan area. Define the marquee areas for each frame in sequence and the scanner will scan them in the same sequence.

Steve

Sounds hard if your not a computer expert.

Is there a better neg scanner that is good for compter dummies?

I tried the 120 a lot and one time it did a great job on the 120. Then nothing, just cut ups. It is a crap shoot with the Epson.
02-18-2012, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Sounds hard if your not a computer expert.

I tried the 120 a lot and one time it did a great job on the 120. Then nothing, just cut ups. It is a crap shoot with the Epson.
There are two tabs in the preview screen. One has the scanner choosing where the frames begin and end. The other lets you select where in the scan frame the scanner does its capture. It is the second one that you should use. The process is a little tedious, but it works. Using your mouse, you select (draw a box around) the area to be scanned for each frame. If you draw around more than one frame, the scanner will do a batch scan with each box (called marquee by the software) going to a separate file.

As for computer dummies...when you find a scanner with user-friendly software, let me know. They are all pretty bad and none that I know of does a very good job of detecting frame start/stop for 120 negatives. VueScan supports your scanner. You might find it a bit more friendly and easier to work with.

VueScan Web Site

Steve

02-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Coolscan 9000 + Nikonscan works perfectly fine. You identify 6X4.5 to 6X9 and it knows where the borders are. But of course the 9000 only goes up to medium format but can scan anything up to that.
Having scanned almost 20,000 frames of every film type I could get my hands on using only auto expose/focus, orientation and all color controls off with no pre or post scan adjustment, Coolscan + Nikonscan is far ahead of all other scanner+software combinations in delivering the best possible scan with the least possible work.
02-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys!!

On a slightly different topic...what about scanning resolution?

I'm using 4800 for my negs. Don't intend to make prints. But for archiving them I thought it would be a good balance.
02-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Your scanner's true resolution is far below 4800 ppi, but scanning high does milk every last drop of resolution out of it. The major downside is you get massive files from medium format, and as for large format, don't even go there - I would suggest no more than 2400 ppi.
02-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Brooke Meyer

There is no simple with scanners. I didn't like the Epson software either. I bought VueScan Pro, spent a little time reading and manually select the image size. With Vuescan, I scanned my 120 with 2 passes to a Raw file, sort of like an HDR to get the entire range.

I see lots of different sizes of negs and prints, even made a mask to hold a Daguerreotype off the glass, as I do restoration. For color prints, I created a ICC color profile from an IT8 Color Target.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 02-20-2012 at 12:40 PM.
07-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found the V700 works much better with the 120 neg cutoff issue.
07-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I found the V700 works much better with the 120 neg cutoff issue.
Right, my V700 has no problem with cutting off 120 negs. The carrier for 120 furnished with the V700 leaves A LOT to be desired, in terms of supporting the negatives evenly. I sprung for the Custom film holders for Agfa, Microtek, Canon and Epson film scanners. carrier and a piece of their Anti-Newton's rings glass. Not a cheap item, but since it has height adjustment in millimeter or less increments it is possible, with some effort, to dial in the proper height, as opposed to the Epson carriers three position adjustment. The glass keeps the negative flat. Downside is two more surfaces for dust. Arrrgh! Much better to get anal about cleaning negs and glass than spend time at the 'puter monitor.

I scan 120 at 3200 and 35mm at 4000. Seems pointless to go higher. I should probably do a comparison.

BTW, slackercruster, you speak of archiving the negs, since you don't intend to print from the scans. If you store the negs properly, they ARE archived, and a reasonable quality scan, 2400 or even less, would be more than adequate to serve as a finding tool to the actual film should you want to make a print.