Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Thing on my Film?

I'm pretty new to shooting film and I was wondering if someone could help me solve a problem I've been having with my K1000. I've been noticing this funny streak appearing on some of my photos over the past few weeks. I sort of thought it was lens flare, a development flaw on my part or a problem with the camera or something but, frankly I have no idea. I did some goggling around but, couldn't really find anything because I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. It's got me beat, was hoping someone who know what they're doing could help me out. If you have any other tips about shooting film, I'd appreciate hearing them as well.

03-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking like a light leak of some sort. Are you using factory loaded film or are you loading your own canisters?
03-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Factory loaded. Could it be my make shift dark room duffel bag / bathroom letting in a little light?
04-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could also be your camera that is leaking a bit.

04-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I had some light leaks a while ago with a K1000. Here's a discussion about them: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/175571-whats-wrong-here-me-camera-lab.html.

It turned out to be light leaks into the canister after I rewound the film and removed the canister from the camera. Your streaks are positioned differenty compared to my experience. So I'd suggest that if they are indeed leaks, your idea of "makeshift darkroom" light seems reasonable. I would think light reaching "uncanistered" film from a doorway would expose differently than light through a canister. Which frames are affected? My leaks only appeared at the beginning of the roll.

I also have a K2 that had bad light seals. The beginning frames weren't affected, but later in the roll the leaks appeared, so I assume the leaks occurred when I changed lenses. I've since had the K2 CLA'd. The point of mentioning the K2 issue is this - the light leaks affected the film just like the K1000 issues - vertical to the film travel.

Hope this helps.
Fred
04-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Id say if your using factory loaded film and it is happening randomly my bet would be your makeshift darkroom or changing bag. The other possibility that comes to mind. Im assuming you are developing the film yourself. Are you using daylight tanks? Could it be that your leak is coming from a bad developing tank.
04-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
The frames affected seem to be fairly random but the location of the leak on the photo is always the same across multiple rolls. I did get my development tank used so maybe I should look into a new one. I've been meaning to get a proper changing bag for a while now too. Thanks for the help.

04-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same place on each frame? Light leak in the camera. The usual suspects are bad light seals and/or a "sprung" film door. Also possible is a pinhole in the shutter curtain.

Steve
04-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

look at the negs, if the density is outside the frame, then rear door light leak. Might be only showing up when you rest the camera in direct sun or leave it on that frame for a long time (days). I had a Mamiya 645 that exhibited such behaviour... drove me nuts until I had it serviced and new foam seals installed.
04-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
It does appear to be outside the frame, Guess I should get light seal replaced. The back door is a bit wobbly now that I think of it. Thanks for the help.