Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Silverfast software

The 4 x 5 scanners I'm looking at come with Silverfast software. I've used the regular Epson v500 software. Is the Silverfast a big upgrade over Epson's scan software?

Thanks

05-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the Epson V750 pro which came with the Silverfast. It's pretty robust program with a bit of learning curve. Generally I tend to use the Epson software more often, I find the interface less cluttered. The scanner also came with X-rite Ezcolor profiling software and several transparency targets. Using that you can make the profile for the scanner and import into the Epson software but not into Silverfast. To create a profile that Silverfast will use you'd have to dish out extra $ for their target. Also the scan preview area in Epson is larger than in Silverfast, so far I have not figured out if you cam make it bigger. That's my two cents, I guess I have not used it that much to get the most out of it.
05-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is Silverfast supposed to be like Lightroom or Elements? Or is it a different type of program?
05-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Silverfast is a scanner driver, not a photo editing program, but it does have reasonably powerful adjustment features that will reduce the amount of PP needed on your scan. I always use it in preference to the Epson software, as it gives good, linear results more readily than the Epson, which frustrates me by always tweaking the scan in mysterious ways that need to be turned off before you start. It is possible that the Epson driver can give just as good results, but I haven't found out how!

Historically, Silverfast's achilles heel has been its ugly, impenetrable interface. Try and make sure you get version 8 with your new scanner (it may come as a free upgrade after purchase). The results are reputedly the same, but the overall experience is much better.