Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HP5+ bulk turned out to be APX 100...

Hi,

I purchased a bulk loader on ebay some month ago and the seller announced that it was loaded with an almost full bulk roll of HP5+ so far so good, until yesterday when I finally developed the first 2 rolls I've shot with that film, and it turns out its APX 100... (Yes I feel lucky in the end, now I got more than a dozen of rolled up 36 rolls with this in the fridge...).

Luckily I utilize stand development 1:100 in Rodinal, and even if there seems to be some frames that are severely underexposed, it looks ok in general (I haven't scanned yet, just looked at the negs with a light and a loupe).

Now to the real problem...

I got 2 rolls that I of course then thought was HP5+ and that I have pushed from what I thought was 400 to 1600, and one of those only half is pushed... rest of it is pulled down to 320 (for testing as I use stand dev.), and then I got one roll that was pulled down to 320 (assuming it was 400...).

I have no idea which rolls of these are which as I assumed all of them were 400 rolls, and would do ok no matter what in stand dev.

So, the million dollar question, any good ideas how I could save these 3 rolls of abused APX 100 when developing?

Last edited by JFN; 05-09-2012 at 09:14 AM.
05-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Rodinal 1:100
05-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
JFN
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
Rodinal 1:100

HEHE, Yeah, the magic elixir to say the least..

Normally when I push 400 to 1600, I use 8 cc on 600cc water (instead of normally 6cc, batch for 2 rolls at a time), and let it stand for 90 minutes (instead of normally 60), in this case the 100 to 320 feels like no biggie, but from 100 to 1600 it seems pretty far, 4 full stops!

Last edited by JFN; 05-08-2012 at 05:26 PM.
05-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah but 'push' development doesn't do a huge amount at the best of times. You increase contrast but your shadows won't magically appear. It's going to be underexposed no matter what you do. I reckon your best not to 'push' the hell out of it, increasing contrast to a point where it makes it hard to (wet) print. By using Stand development your compensating as well as you can I think. Scanning my be slightly different. How's your printing ability... that will get a work out

Have you posed this question at APUG, there's nothing they don't know about film development!

05-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
JFN
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
Yeah but 'push' development doesn't do a huge amount at the best of times. You increase contrast but your shadows won't magically appear. It's going to be underexposed no matter what you do. I reckon your best not to 'push' the hell out of it, increasing contrast to a point where it makes it hard to (wet) print. By using Stand development your compensating as well as you can I think. Scanning my be slightly different. How's your printing ability... that will get a work out

Have you posed this question at APUG, there's nothing they don't know about film development!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll create an account at APUG this evening (I've been lurking there about this the last two days...).