Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Ubuntu Linux 35mm Negative Scanner?

Any recommendations? Anyone done it?

05-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Trojan, I was going to, with Epson V600, but ended up using an old Win notebook just dedicated to the scanner and ftp on wireless up to Fedora for Gimp and Picasa.
05-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trojan_Llama Quote
Any recommendations? Anyone done it?
Sorry Trojan, I use a Plustek 7500i but on Windows 7. I'm also in Thetford and I've just had a look at your Flickr stuff. I must say I'm impressed. Can I ask where you get your colour film developed?
05-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

A long time ago (8 years?) I used a first-generation Photosmart scanner with VueScan to do negatives. At the time it was the best, most affortable combination available. It could handle slides, negatives, and prints, with different correction for different film stocks. I just checked and Vuescan is still available.
Catch - I don't think (didn't check) there's a Linux version. You'd have to run it on a virtual machine, most likely. I personally haven't had much luck with using Wine to get things to run. (But almost everything I try to run is very hardware-dependent - Wine's worst case.) I have had excellent success with virtualbox, though.
I checked the Linux Hardware Compatibility List without seeing anything promising. Sorry.

05-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I don't know anything about negative scanning, but I do know Linux. Checking Sane's compatibility list shows the Canon CanoScan 8800F, the Pixma MP970, the HP ScanJet 4500C, 4570C, 5550C 5590 and 7650 are listed as supported. Maybe someone here that knows more about negative scanning could tell you if any of those are worth looking into. Of course there may be many more supported that can do negatives, those are just the one's that had descriptions mentioning negatives.

Here is the full list:
SANE: Supported Devices
05-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm running PCLinuxOS, and dual-boot with WinXP. About the only time I boot into Windows is to use my HP 4850 scanner. Still a lot of unsupported hardware out there for Linux
05-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have an old Canoscan FS4000US dedicated 35 mm film scanner and it is supported on Linux OS, both as USB and SCSI drive.
My FS4000US easily out performs my Epson V700 as a 35mm film scanner giving scans as good as my friends Nikon Coolscan at a fraction of the cost.
I believe quite a lot of older SCSI scanners are supported on Linux.
Glenn
05-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved from Pentax Film SLR Discussion.

05-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you to all that have replied! The Ubuntu users forum produced zero replies in comparison.

It looks as though it is going to be difficult. Vuescan looks good, but it's a case of finding an affordable scanner that is compatable with Vuescan on Linux. At least Vuescan have a very good list of Linux supported scanners.

Do I really need a 35mm slide or even a photo scanner? The Canon Canoscan LiDE 25 is apparently easily compatible?

Vendee, pleased to meet you! And a Super ME owner as well. I moved from Thetford to the Wisbech area a few years ago. Don't Studio Five still develop colour film?
05-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Don't Studio Five still develop colour film?
Yes....... very badly. I only shoot b&w and develop/print in my own darkroom. When someone gave me a roll of colour film last year, I shot it and took it down to Studio 5 for them to develop the film (no prints, I would scan them myself). I have never seen so much dust and scratches on a roll of film. It was like they had dried the film with a fluffy towel. I suspect that because they don't do much film these days, their machine and chemicals don't get cleaned out as often as they should. I spoke to another photographer in the area and he had similar experiences with them.
05-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Yes....... very badly. I only shoot b&w and develop/print in my own darkroom. When someone gave me a roll of colour film last year, I shot it and took it down to Studio 5 for them to develop the film (no prints, I would scan them myself). I have never seen so much dust and scratches on a roll of film. It was like they had dried the film with a fluffy towel. I suspect that because they don't do much film these days, their machine and chemicals don't get cleaned out as often as they should. I spoke to another photographer in the area and he had similar experiences with them.
A shame, they use to be very good. Several years ago or more, I went into there to enquire about digital cameras. They told me that they just weren't good enough yet, and wouldn't sell them! How times have changed.
05-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #12

It looks as though it is going to be difficult. Vuescan looks good, but it's a case of finding an affordable scanner that is compatable with Vuescan on Linux. At least Vuescan have a very good list of Linux supported scanners.

Do I really need a 35mm slide or even a photo scanner?
FWIW, I am using an Epson Perfection V600 right now on my desktop, which is running Ubuntu 12.04. It works flawlessly (indeed, even better than on my wife's Windows 7 system, in my opinion). I use it for my B&W negatives (it comes with a carrier for both 35mm and 120 format film) and for prints. It works great in Linux and is very easy to use.

The .deb files are available from Epson's site:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/searchModuletp://

You are basically looking for the plugin and the Image Scan! for Linux application, relevant to your given platform (i.e., i386 or amd64). You just start the application, it pings the scanner and starts scanning; you have a few settings in the GUI interface, and it is pretty straightforward and easy to use.

At one time, I had bought an old Nikon SCSI scanner (LS1000, I think) on eBay and attempted to use it via VueScan. Technically, I actually DID get results, but they were pretty bad. I've never had a particularly favorable impression of VueScan since.
05-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
Banned

My boot screen :

BTW I also have a MacMini and i7 MacBook Air .
05-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Is Epson providing Linux drivers for all their scanners now?

Chris
05-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Is Epson providing Linux drivers for all their scanners now?

Chris
Well, they don't "officially" support Linux, but once you dig lightly on their site you will find what you are looking for. They (as with nearly all vendors) are largely relying on the built-in support from the SANE backend. That said, the GUI app available from their website works quite well with a LOT of their current scanners. Furthermore, we acquired the v600 as an upgrade to our very old but reliable Epson 636u scanner which has always worked quite well in Linux.