Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Epson V500

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Epson V500 flatbed photo scanner?

Epson Perfection V500 Photo Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Thanks,
Dewman

05-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe it is the lowest cost entry for a very versatile scanner with ICE. It may or may not meet your quality or workflow expectation but keep in mind the very competitive price. I would suggest buying one to try with a money back option.
05-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I believe it is the lowest cost entry for a very versatile scanner with ICE. It may or may not meet your quality or workflow expectation but keep in mind the very competitive price. I would suggest buying one to try with a money back option.
Thanks for your reply.

I took your advice and bought one....$147.95, with free shipping. It also comes with a Photoshop "Essentials" program. And, as you mentioned, I have 30 days to try it out and if I'm not satisfied, I can return it for a full refund.

A review to follow....in about two weeks.

Regards,
Dewman
05-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is an excellent scanner. Do yourself a favor and acquire a copy of Vuescan as the included scanning software is weak. Vuescan really brought out the best in this scanner.

05-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use v500, with the Epson scan software shipped with the v500, no need for any other software as it works perfect!!
06-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree that Vuescan is worth getting to use with any scanner that it supports. The colour restoration and dust removal features are brilliant! I have only just started using my V500 with Vuescan but I've used Vuescan with my Nikon LS30 for years. Vuescan fixed problems with the Nikon that Nikon themselves didn't fix.
06-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use one for 120 film with Vuescan. It's good enough, but I would not rely on it for 35mm film for lack of resolution.

06-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I use one for 120 film with Vuescan. It's good enough, but I would not rely on it for 35mm film for lack of resolution.
+1

Of course that depends on how much enlargement is needed. The 35mm scans are okay for most uses, but not as good for big enlargements. For "scanning" 35mm film, your digital camera probably has more pixels per inch than the V500.

Medium format film scans from the V500 are pretty good! As good or better than standard service scans. The jump in cost for better scanning is huge compared to gain in quality.
06-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
In my case I have a Nikon LS30 for 35mm scanning. I got the V500 to scan older negs in non-35mm formats.

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Of course that depends on how much enlargement is needed. The 35mm scans are okay for most uses, but not as good for big enlargements. For "scanning" 35mm film, your digital camera probably has more pixels per inch than the V500.
What, photograph the film strip with some sort of macro adapter? What would you use to reverse the image of a colour neg?
06-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a V500 a few years ago, and it has served me well, even for 35mm film. However, I eventually bought the anti-newton-ring glass inserts from BetterScanning.com, and that made the film easier to load and scans more consistent. I've tried VueScan and SilverFast, and they both have their advantages, but I've found the Epson software to work well for me. The multi-pass scanning with VueScan and SilverFast can yield some improvement in dynamic range, but I'm generally not that particular, so decided to not purchase the third-party software.

Here is an example, scanned with the Epson software.

Kodak Tri-X at ISO400, Pentax MX, Pentax-M 40mm f2.8 with yellow filter, developed in Rodinal 1+100 semi-stand, Epson V500 with ANR glass insert.

I'm plenty happy with the results.

-Joe-
06-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
I got a V500 a few years ago, and it has served me well, even for 35mm film. However, I eventually bought the anti-newton-ring glass inserts from BetterScanning.com, and that made the film easier to load and scans more consistent. I've tried VueScan and SilverFast, and they both have their advantages, but I've found the Epson software to work well for me. The multi-pass scanning with VueScan and SilverFast can yield some improvement in dynamic range, but I'm generally not that particular, so decided to not purchase the third-party software.
Thanks for the pointer to the inserts.

QuoteQuote:
I'm plenty happy with the results.
And that's what really matters!